Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

LCD TV # XXXXX has a single black line from top to bottom

Customer Question

LCD TV # XXXXX has a single black line from top to bottom of screen/pix is normal accept for the line. This is a repair for an extended warr.
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. From the information you have provided the TV is going to need repair to correct the problem. This is normally caused by a poor solder connection of the cable that connects the display to the chassis of the TV but it can also be caused by a defective LCD display. If you have the extended warrenty, I would definitely reccomend that you call to have the TV serviced.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I thought you were a Sharp tech, what I needed was a way to troubleshoot tv to be sure it was the display panel or controller bd., lcd driver etc. I thought that a panel defect would only result in short black spaces not complete longlines. Thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 7 years ago.

Sorry I misunderstood the question.

I have opted out of this question since I have no information on this model in my database. By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon.

Regards,

Edward

Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 7 years ago.

Hi!

I'm guessing this line is there regardless of which input you select or what screen format you select, correct?

And the line never moves from one part of the screen to another, it's always in the exact same position, correct?

That's definitely a defective panel.

Hope that helps, thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes the line is always there regardless of which input is used, and it does not change its position, but just to clarify the line is more like a gray color not a harsh black line. Sometimes on brite pix scenes the line is barely visible. If it is a back lite problem on this tv would it still be the panel ?? Thanks

If it were a backlight problem, part or all of the screen would be dark.

Any line or anomally that is vertical in nature and is absolutely stationary regardless of format has to be the panel.

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.