Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.

how do I find and progra the av channel on an old sanyo ds

how do I find and progra the av channel on an old sanyo ds 25230 to sync with a dvd player?
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

I can't find the manual for that TV. That said i see the remote and there is no modern "input" button to select input (i guess you want to plug your DVD player with RCA cables on the back).

Some older TV allowed this by going with CH- under the channel 01 or with CH+ over the highest channel of the TV.

Some other model/brand require to enter 00 on the pad of the remote. Or sometime just 0, and wait the timeout, making it select the LINE input.

It's also possible that you have an AUX switch (for even older TV).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have connected the cable to the dvd player and the vhf output to the tv, no extra cable input on the tv. I can find channel 1 but don't know how to program manually, any idea?
Ok, i see. If you have other input than coax on the TV, i suggest you to try them for the DVD, it give a better picture than modulated video on coax.

If you have only coax (i guess your DVD player can record or is a VHS combo), the TV require to be set on channel 3 or 4 to be able to see the DVD unit when getting video from coaxial cable.

The DVD unit need to be "told" to overwrite the channel 3 with it's own video signal. On VCR it's called [VCR/TV] button, would probably be DVD/TV or just switch automatically when a disk is played.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that is right, the tv only has coax in. since I only have the universal remote on the sanyo tv, once I set it on channel 3 or 4 can I manually program it for the dvd input channel and how would I do it?

and you are correct it is a dvd/vhs toshiba combo and not sure where on the dvd to overwrite channel 3

There is nothing to do on the TV side other than put it on 3 or 4. Give me the model number (that include letters and number) of the DVD player and i will look up why you seem to have trouble with it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the model is toshiba D-VR5 SU
from the manual at page 23:

Setting the video channel
To view playback of a recorded tape or DVD disc, or to watch a
program selected by the VCR’s channel selector, the TV must be
set to channel 3 or 4 (video channel).
When a TV is connected with the 75 ohm coaxial cable only:

1: Press and hold 3 04 on the remote controler for 3 sec in the standby mode to select CH 3 or 4. The selected channel number will flash on the display for about 4 seconds.

2: Turn On the TV and set to CH 3 or 4 to rorrespond with channel selected in step 1.

3: Press ON/STANDBY to turn on the DVD/VCR

4: Press TV/VIDEO to select the VIDEO position

5: Select any channel (on the DVD system) to receive a TV station.

If you still can't see nothing on the TV, not even any menu from the DVD player, perhaps your TV channel memory is empty on the TV unit and don't even have a default one. If such is the case, before trying to push the TV/Video button on the remote, try to connect the cable directly to the TV and do a channel scan. Then (if you can see channel 3) plug it back to the DVD unit and try again the TV/Video button on the remote.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks for all your help, but I don't have the remote for the dvd player and did not see an alternative in the dvd manual to change to video manually on the dvd player.I will certainly pay you afterwards. I do see the TV indicator in the dvd display but not sure how withuot the remote to change it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the only other thing I could think of is to remove the cable input and run the channel search with the video running as the only potential input source. but then I am not sure how to mark the channel so I can reconnect to cable and rerun channel search without loosing it again.
I see, it's very simple to set up with coax, not having the remote is probably what is causing such complexity. In case you want one you can get it here:

I don't see the TV/Video button on the combo unit, only on the remote. It's possible that inserting a VHS tape or a DVD auto start it.
For the Tv to be able to memorize the channel 3, it does not matter if it's scan from the cable or the combo or even a game console. The important is that the TV is at least able to scan something on ch3 or ch 4 (factory default for the combo is ch 3). Once that is done, you can unplug the cable fine, it will only lost that memorization when you unplug AC on the TV.