Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

My tv has picture but no sound. The sound would go , then if

My tv has picture but no sound. The sound would go , then if you wiggled the AC cord it came back but now nothing helps. Could it just be the power cord?

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi: The tv is a Sony Bravia, purchased in Dec. 2007. Model no. KDL-40V3000. When the sound first went i made sure the connections were made...when i jiggled the male connection the sound came back and it was ok for a few days. When it happened again i changed the power bar it was plugged into and it was ok for awhile. When it happened again i made sure the plug at the tv was all the way in...when i pressed it the sound came back. It went a few more times and if i pressed the plug that is connected diectly to the tv the sound came back on .The last time the sound went nothing helped....i thought maybe there was a short in the cord but of course i don't know! Hope you do!
Sorry to say the AC cord is causing the problem. Heat is the enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on with sound and continue to operate component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. I suspect a problem with the audio circuit. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do would you like an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Thank you for the accept and the positive feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.