Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.

how do I select the external input channel on my RCA TV without

Customer Question

how do I select the external input channel on my RCA TV without the original remote? Trying to set up a VCR/DVD player/recorder.
Category: TV
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

Usually RCA TV don't allow input change without a remote. If you have a universal remote around you could enter the RCA code in it (perhaps your DVD remote allow that).

If you give me the model number of the TV i could locate the original remote for that TV for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a universal remote set to run the RCA TV and the Scientific Atlanta DVR from Brighthouse Cable. I've pressed menu keys on both devices and don't get anything that allows me to change the input. I have set up the TV to allow both TV channels and CATV channels, put the TV on channel 3 etc. Still no luck. The TV is an RCA Tru Flat Model# XXXXX manufactured in June 2006. The DVD/VCR recorder/player I am trying to set up is a Manavox ZV420MW8. The instructions say:"after you have completed the connections, switch the input selector on your TV to an appropriate external input channel. Press a button on the TV's original remote control that selects an external input channel repeatedly until the DVD recorder's opening picture appears." Thanks very much for your quick reply and help!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply and offer of a remote. I went to our storage unit (recently moved) and managed to dig out the RCA remote!! Couldn't believe I had it and found it! everything is working fine now. Thanks again. Will use this site again!
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
I'm happy to see you found it. Indeed many "universal" remote only allow some function like power ON/OFF, channel and volume. This allow them to save memory inside the remote and sell it for less (or take a bigger profit :)).