Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

I have a vizio l37 hdtv The tv shuts off by itself. when turned

I have a vizio l37 hdtv The tv shuts off by itself. when turned back on it will play for 10min to 1 hr then shut back down and the cycle starts again. When i turn the set back on i get a momentary crackling sound then everyting sounds and looks perfect till it shuts back off. can you help with this problem.
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. They are also known for having issues with their power supplies failing. I expect this is what is causing the problem.The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down or will keep it from turning on when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts, which includes millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Diodes and IC can go bad. This may have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for a proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment specifically designed for TV service and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do would you like an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am an industrial electromechanic I work on electrical motors,PLCs , industrial DC equipment and 480-120vac equipment. In these areas when a card goes bad I replace them. What i am looking for do yoy think the power card is bad or another card throughout the system<best quess> I had went on another web sight where people have descibed the same issue one of the people said the main board caused the problem?? I bought this unit used and now I am at the crossroad of weather the cost of repair is cost effician. most technitions want $100.00 to evaluate and $100..00 per hour + the cost of parts. Please advise do you think its worth fixing or return back to the seller for refund I still have that option.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
This TV is known for having issues with their power supplies failing. This is often caused by capacitors in the power supply failing. Often it is much less expensive to replace the defective capacitors than the entire power supply. I never suggest replacing a board unless the other circuitry is verified not to have caused the original part to fail. In this case a main board can cause the power supply to fail. The TV should be worth repairing. I expect this repair will be about $150 to $250, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications, if the problem is a bad circuit board, and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility. Most shops will provide an estimate for a small fee that they will deduct from the repair cost if you decide to have them repair the TV.

Regards,

Edward

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the accept and the positive feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edwards