Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

My Samsung TVs picture tube appears not be working. . .I have

My Samsung TV's picture tube appears not be working. . .I have sound but no picture. . . how can I check to make sure it is just the picture tube and how much does it cost to replace the picture tube. . . how do I go about doing this. . a
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX . . We have owned the TV for 4 to 5 years . .

I have tried to play the DVD player and received sound only. . .I reset the cable channel . . that's all we tried. . . .

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Please shine a very bright flashlight into the screen and tell me if you see a VERY faint ghost like image in the TV screen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, there is not a very faint ghost like image in the TV screen
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

I have opted out of this question since I have no information on this model in my database. By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon.

Regards,

Edward

Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 5 years ago.

Hi!

When you turn on the TV, place the back of your hand against the screen. Can you feel the high voltage come up (the hairs on the back of your hand will stand up)?

If you get high voltage, are you able to get any on screen graphics from the TV's menu?

Chuck

Expert:  Bob W. replied 5 years ago.
Aren't the Samsung "LN" models all LCD TVs? No picture tube.

Actually, I thought so, too, but the customer says it's a tube set.

, is this a flat panel TV or a tube TV?

Chuck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is a flat panel TV

When you turn it on, can you see any faint glow on the screen? You may have to be in the dark to see this.

If there is absolutely no glow at all, and you cannot shine a flashlight on the screen and make out a very dim picture, you either have a defective Digital Main board or the actual screen itslef is defective, and without a service manual and parts, there's not much you can do other than take it to a service provider.

You may also have a defect in the power supply, but you would have to be able to take the set apart and measure voltages against what the service manual says should be there.

Sorry I don't have more for you to go on, let me know if you want some troubleshooting advice if you're comfortable working on the set, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.