TOM
TOM, Technician
Experience:  repair all makes of televisions and electronics
15386767

my plasma TV Hitachi 55HDS69 broke couple of days ago. I can

Customer Question

my plasma TV Hitachi 55HDS69 broke couple of days ago. I can turn it ON meaning that the ON light comes on, but the screen is blank. I know a little about electronics, so I opened it up hoping that it could be something as simple as broken fuse, but no luck.
Category: TV
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer.Do the blue lights come up with the tv when its on.Are any lights blinking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, blue light comes up and it's blinking several times (I don't remember how many, I am not home right now), then it stops blinking and then just steady blue light. But the screen is blank and it does not look like it's on, I mean there is no any heat from the other side of the screen if you touch with your hand (but usually there is some).
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
Ok this tv is open I guess. I want you to look on the left hand side you will see 2 boards mounted with ribbon cables hooked to them.Take a flashlite or bright light and you will see black ic chips mounted to these. Shine light on them look for a tiny hole in one or more of them.If you find a hole and look carefull,you need to change that board.The manufacturer also says to change the ysus board also.These are called the sdr upper and lower boards.I have been finding these chips go bad and prevent picture.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I could not find any holes on those chips. Just to make sure we are talking about the same. Those boards are SDR-U and SDR-D and there are 6 black square chips on each. Each chip is about half inch size. I looked very careful, but they seem to be intact, no holes.

Do you have any other advice? Thanks!
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.

Yes you located them,Do you feel qualified to remove the top board and then turn tv on and see what you have got? What this will do is definately take these out of the equation.I have missed holes and burn marks on these and had to remove board to find.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try to remove them. What should I expect when I turn TV on? I mean the screen is blank now, when I remove the top board will it change?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the top board completely and turn on the tv. nothing changed. there are no any burn mark or anything like that on the board.
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.

Ok sorry to put you through that.I would say you have a digital main board problem.Part number JP50761.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I have last couple of questions. Where is this board? I looked at all of them, none has this part number. Are you sure this is the cause and if I replace it it will fix the problem? Do you have any idea how much it is cost? Thanks again.
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
The part number will almost never be on the board itself.Well to locate the board its better to tell you what plugs into it.If you follow the speaker wires they plug into it also the board plugs into the plasma panel. Ok my cost is 322.64 you may add 30 percent for you.As far as being positive its the problem.Here is what I do I match symptoms with Hitachi database.There are problems like yours in there and it says replace digi main board Pn 50761.What you have to remember that I cant see or test tv but You have done some of that.To give you the best answer I would say that this is it.It is a lot of money so you may want to take to shop. Thank You for your question.
TOM, Technician
Experience: repair all makes of televisions and electronics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just one last question. I checked this part on partstore.com and there are two: one JP50761 and another is listed as an alternative, part number JP50761R. The first one is $394 and the alternative is $263. Do you think I can put the alternative instead? If it's the same (functionaly) why is it cheaper?
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
Im not sure why it is cheaper. Is it a rebuilt board? If so you can buy it, but make sure you can return if problem with it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure how to reopen this thread. So I ordered this board, it arrived today and I installed it right away. Now I do have sound, but still no picture. Sound is all right, I connected my camcoder, switched (blindly) to an appropriate input and had sound from the camcoder. But no luck with picture and I mean nothing, not even menus and such. Any ideas? Thanks!
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
I would like you to check the connector between the main digi board and sub board.The main digi has all the jacks for your tv on it.The sub is next to it check the black connector,Unhook it and rehook it to make sure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that, but no effect, still the same.
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
Ok here is the panel test that will help us trouble shoot this. Press on your hitachi remote menu,menu,menu, 9 select while the set is on. What do you see?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, after I've done that the blue light started blinking 3 times, then pause then again 3 times, pause and so on. I could not turn it off via the remote, so I just unplugged it. what is the verdict?
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
On the digi main board when you turn on power do the leds stay lit or do they go out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there are 5 leds on the board. they blink in the following sequence:
orange+green on (first two from the left), then they turn off, red is on (fourth on from the left) and then it repeats.
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
Ok according to hitachi your Y sus board is defective.This is the board located at the far left as looking from back. The part number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wow, that's another $450! I guess I am better off just buying new TV. do you think main digi board (the original one) was defective in the first place?

thanks!
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.
Yes because you have constant sound now.I believe your tv may have had a voltage spike done to it. Some times its hard to tell when they happen but something caused the tv to need 2 boards.