Conrad
Conrad, Technician
Experience:  Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC
13527695

My 3 yr old LG dvd/VCR player has started chewing my tapes.

My 3 yr old LG dvd/VCR player has started chewing my tapes. Is it just a matter of needing to clean the heads, or is there a bigger problem at hand? How do I fix this
Category: TV
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. Unfortunately, head cleaning is not likely to cure your tape chewing problem. Depending on how the tapes are chewed, the usual cause is a machanism problem. It can be too much or too little torque when winding the tapes, or some other mechanism problem. You are welcome to try a head cleaning cassette, but I fear your machine may also chew the cleaning cassette. The only way to repair the set will be to unplug the set and then remove the cover. Once the cover is removed, you will have to load a tape and then watch how the tape moves through the mechanism and see if you can tell where the chewing is taking place. You will notice that two "arms" pull the tape around a spinning "drum" to read the tape. I suspect that what is happening is that the tape is not being taken up by the reel drive on the right side of the tape.
If you are satisfied with my answer, be sure to click on the green ACCEPT button. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them. Thanks for using our service!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Conrad. You are right, the right hand reel drive does not 'catch' the tape when it tries to wind on. How do I fix this?
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I don't know what method of drive your LG uses to drive the reel. It could be gear driven with a belt under the mechanism, or a rubber "idler" or wheel which drives against the reel. You will have to remove the tape and see if you can tell what would normally drive the takeup reel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Conrad, I do intend to pay you. I'd just like a little more information. I really appreciate your help so far. If I give yo the model will that help you know whether it runs by a belt or idler mechanism? It is V9120W. From what I can tell it's a rubber wheel that drives against the tape. It's just accepted a tape from me, but last nite chewed a tape. While it has tape now, it starts to have problems when I rewind in that the tape keeps winding back, but isn't being fed back onto its reel and then gets chewed when I try to eject it. How do I repair this? Will I need a professional? Roughly how much will that cost me? K
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
You will probably need to replace the rubber tire to get the unit to work again. You can try cleaning it, but that will only buy you some time. If you clean it, use a cleaner that is a dedicated rubber cleaner ( like this )
I don't have a source for LG replacement parts, but I found one on the web for you. You can see it by clicking here
I would expect to pay between $50 - $75 to have the unit repaired.