Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Master Electronic Technician
Experience:  Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.
12940042

I have a SONY WEGA TV with the 3 blink problem, wont turn

I have a SONY WEGA TV with the 3 blink problem, won't turn on - how do I fix the tv - I just replaced the lamp also which blew out when the TV went dead
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 5 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer can you list the model number of your Sony Wega? It would also help to know which light is blinking and the color.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi - KF 42WE610 is the model number - also the blinking light is the power/standby - I was watching tv the other night and the tv just went out and I heard the lamp blowout. I have replaced the lamp (I've done this before) and attempted to turn the tv back on. The Power/Standby light turns green as if ready to turn on then turns red, stops and then blinks three times intermittently until powering down and remaining red after a few minutes. I've read that the 3 blink problem alerts to a specific problem (unlike 4 or 5 blinks, etc.) So I am trying to find out how to fix it. Thanks
Sorry I missed you, I was just getting ready to turn in for the night and saw your reply. You are indeed correct, the three blinks of the Power/Standby light do indicate a particular problem. In fact, it is an indication of what may be considered the most serious problem of all.
Did you close the door? Sorry, it's late and I couldn't resist. The three blink indicator for this set shows a fault in the trip switch for the lamp door.
In the event that there is more than one malfunction, the item which first occurred blinks. If the malfunctions occurred simultaneously, the item with the lower blink count blinks first.
So, here's hoping for the simple solution. Let me know.

P.S. Just in case it turns out to be something more, I have the 156-page service manual available if you need it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I'm not sure I understand what you're instructing me to do. Check the lamp door? For what exactly?
That's OK. The lamp door has a small switch that will disable the TV if it is activated. If that switch is not working and is stuck, or if the door is not closed properly, it can cause your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when you say "the lamp door" what is that exactly?
Sorry, I should have used the proper terminology for this particular TV. I should have said lamp cover instead. If the cover is not secure, the Power/Standby lamp will blink 3 times.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It looks like the lamp door is melted, as well as some of the plastic casing around the lamp jack. I think this baby's a goner....
Wow, that would certainly give you the three-blink problem. This happens as a result of the fan not working properly to cool it down. As I mentioned earlier, I have the full Service Manual for this TV if you can use it. The problem you have is repairable depending on what you care to do.
Update:
Since this is a fairly common Sony problem, they have issued several service bulletins on it for various models. In some cases, Sony has offered to repair the TV or offer a credit on another one. I will check to see the status for your TV.
Limited Extended Warranty for Certain 2003 and 2004 Televisions Exhibiting Warping of the Lamp Access Door

• 2003 Models: KF42WE610, KF50WE610, KF60WE610, KDF60XBR950, KDF70XBR950
  • 2004 Models: KF42WE620, KF50WE620, KDF42WE655, KDF50WE655
It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand WEGA rear projection televisions (models listed above) may exhibit warping to the lamp access door. In rare cases, some additional components may also become damaged as a result.

Sony would like to assure its customers that this issue has been evaluated extensively and that there are no product safety concerns caused by this issue.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony will reimburse owners of eligible models in the United States who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 9, 2008 for an estimate or repair service related to this specific lamp door issue. To receive reimbursement, please follow the exact directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by August 31, 2008. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

Additionally, through March 31, 2009, Sony will repair the lamp access door and any other components damaged as a result at no charge for any of the covered televisions. Customers who experience this issue should contact Sony at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto schedule a repair. Sony will only provide free repair to covered televisions that exhibit this specific condition.

All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its Authorized Servicer Network, will repair your set within 30 days of your initial contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if your set is not repaired within 30 days, please contact Sony at(NNN) NNN-NNNN

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KF42WE610&news_id=261

There is hope after all!
As you see, your TV is covered until the end of March '09. Hopefully that is a welcome solution for you.
Let me know if there are any problems with this.
Experience: Nearly 4 decades of installing and repairing TV's of all types.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much- what an incredible help you were!!