Josh C
Josh C, Technician
Experience:  I have been an electronics technician for 17 years, Tv's VCR's, DVD players, home and car audio.
11634809

I have a Toshiba 57H81 Projection TV that when I turn it on

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba 57H81 Projection TV that when I turn it on the picture is "squiggly" for 10 to 15 minutes before it straightens out. Is this something easily corrected like replacing a circuit board and if so which one?
Category: TV
Expert:  Josh C replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi there!</p><p> </p><p>When you say squiggly, do you mean the colors dont align, or more like your looking at a "fun house" mirror?</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
More like a fun house mirror. after it warms up the is only a little distortion in the rop 6 inches of the screen.
Expert:  Josh C replied 7 years ago.
Ok, this is a common problem on this set, and it will eventually spread to the entire screen.

The problem is in your "hyper module". There are 11 capacitors in the module that fail and cause this problem. I personally would say DONT try this repair yourself, unless you have EXCELLENT soldering abilities - I have done this for 17 years, and it is still difficult to me.

There is a company called WWW.PTSCORP.COM that will refurbish this board for you if you remove it. I can give you removal and repair instructions if you are familliar with Television and electronics repair and can solder. Remember, there are voltages inside tv's that can kill.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I remove the module and howmuch does PTSCORP charge to repair it?
Expert:  Josh C replied 7 years ago.
You will need to remove the hyper module. If you remove the back of the set, you will see it..it sits directly behind the signal board. It is a silver box, and you will have to remove the black plastic bridge that goes over it as well.

Remove all screws and the nut from the signal board panel, there is also one on each side behind the panel, and one on top in the right hand side of the bridge. Now the cover will come off. Remove the bridge next - It has two screws on each side.

Now you will have to get slack in all the wiring so you can remove 3 screws and pull the main chassis toward you. After this is done, remove 3 screws from the back of the chassis, there is 1 on each side, and 1 in the center.

Pull the chassis toward you, and flip the back upwards so you can see the bottom of the board. There are 4 large tabs coming through the main board that are soldered and twisted. You must de-solder the 4 tabs and untwist the tabs. Do this very carefully as the main board is thin and can be broken easily.

Once the tabs are de-soldered and the tabs are twisted straight, you can wiggle the hypreboard free and it will unplug and come out.

I believe PTS charges around 140-160 for the repair job from what i recall.