PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

The timer light on my samsung tv wont go out and my TV wont

The timer light on my samsung tv won't go out and my TV won't turn on. What should I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 8 years ago.

Would you kindly let me know the model no.?

Do you hear any sound?

Regards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The model Number is XXXXX When you unplug and plug the power back in, the timer light goes on, their is the high pitched sound. After about 5 to 7 seconds, the timer light flashes, there is a click and then the timer light goes back to red and stays red. There is no sound or picture on the TV.

This has happened a few times in the past. In the past, by unplugging and plugging the power back in (sometimes in combination with holding the power button, but I'm not sure the power button was really having any effect), eventually the TV would start. The difference in sound when it's going to start is that there's that crackling sound of startup. Right now I'm never hearing that crackling sound.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One more thing...the reason that this happens is because we use the poewr button on the TV. Once we have it up and running, as long as we always use our cable remote to turn the tv on and off we don't have a problem. Yesterday I accidently pushed the power button on the TV without thinking and this is what the result was.
Expert:  PramitP replied 8 years ago.

Can you let me know what happens after using a surge protector?

Regards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I tried two other surge supressors including a monster bar didn't work

Expert:  PramitP replied 8 years ago.

From your description of the situation it seems that the problem is with the power supply. There might be a faulty capacitor or bad fuses resulting in burnt off resistors and transistors. So the PSU also needs to be checked. The lamp might have also been damaged so you will also need to check it.
If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV and especially the PSU.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments.
If you wish to take it to a repair shop would you like to have an idea of the cost of repair?
If you have any other queries then I owuld be glad to assist you further.

Regards.

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If you could give me some idea of the cost of replacing the PSU I'd appreciate it.
Expert:  PramitP replied 8 years ago.
The cost would be around $250 and it may vary depending upon the parts replaced.

Regards.