Conrad
Conrad, Technician
Experience:  Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC
13527695

i have an insignia ns27lcd tv it powers up has sound but has

Customer Question

i have an insignia ns27lcd tv it powers up has sound but has no picture can you help me?
Category: TV
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for asking for my help. Can you tell me if you have sound on your TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the tv does have sound
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Get a bright flashlight, the brightest you can find and hod it right up against the screen and tell me if you can see a faint picture. Sometimes it helps to take the TV to a dark room to try this. It will not be easy to see the picture under any circumstances, so look closely when trying this.
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
I must run out, but I will be back in about an hour or so.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

when you first turn it on it blinks stand by for about 1 second then screen goes black and you begin to here the tv channels sound but no picture even with a flash light in a completely dark room i cant see any thing on the screen

Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for waiting and the information. One last question, you said you can't see anything, does that mean that the screen does not appear to be lit up? I know you have no picture, I am looking to see if the lights behind the screen are working.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its not lit up
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again. I believe you have a bad backlight inverter board, which is the power supply for the flourescent backlights which are contained in the LCD panel. Replacing this board is not difficult and you can pruchase one by clicking here
If you are satisfied with my answer, be sure to click on the green ACCEPT button. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them. Thanks for using our service!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

im sorry for the delay but i cannot except your answer because i purchesed a backlight inverter from shopjimmy.com and the tv is doing the same thing when you hit the power button the insignia light turns blue and the screen blinks "please wait" for 1 second and then the screen goes black you cant see anything not even with a flashlight up to the screen i cannot execpt your answer if it doesn't fix the tv that would be a waste of money can you tell me what my tv really needs

Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I am sorry that the backlight inverter board did not fix your TV and I don't expect you to accept an answer that did not fix the TV. If the backlight inverter board was not the issue, the only other cause would be the main or system board, as this has all of the video processing circuits on board. I wish I had been there to take some readings and check a few things before recommending the backlight inverter, but I was not and I admit the bad call. Understand it is never easy to diagnose a TV long distance. I really believe your next best choice is the main board here
Regardless of the outcome, do not accept any answer and I would still like to hear back on the results. You shouldn't have to pay for my mistake; I believe and hope the main board will fix your problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you know what goes bad on the main unit
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Normally, on the main units, it is one of the microprocessors that fails, The microprocessors run very hot and are not properly heat sinked, so they tend to fail earlier than they should. I have had good results installing additional heat sinks like the type used in computers to prevent the problem from re-occurring.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have the tv apart know is there anything i can see or do to correctly diagnose between the main or system board being defective

Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
With the back off, you might try some circuit cooler on the main board to see if that has any effect. Circuit cooler is available at Radio Shack (click here )
Apart from that, if you have a voltmeter, I would check the outputs of the power supply. On most supplies the outputs will be labelled on the circuit board as to what the voltages should be. Apart from that, unless you have an oscilloscope, there isn't a whole lot you can check.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so are you saying the problem lies in the main or system boards?
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I believe the problem lies in the main or system board (they are the same).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was trying to plug the av cables in with the cover off i think the ground screw from the main board touched some thing now the screen doesnt even blink any more and the power supply board is whining the fuse looks good do you think i burned up the power supply?

Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Ouch. Unfortunately, it sounds as though you did. The whining noise you hear is the power supply trying to drive something that has likely been shorted. I am sorry, but the power supply will have to be replaced as well, as no diagrams are available for the supply and it must be replaced as a unit, rather than trying to locate the defective part.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you im not going to touch anything else im going to get a power supply and a main unit if it works ill let you know and accept your answer
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
If this works, because of the wrong answer previously, you don't have to accept my answer, but I would like to hear of the outcome