Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

i have a sony bravia 42 inch tv. it has a crack in the screen,

i have a sony bravia 42 inch tv. it has a crack in the screen, can it be fixed? also why did or why would it crack. i know sony said something had to hit it but nothing did. i watched it in the morning,turned it off and went to work. when i came home and turned it on it had lines through the pic. and i could see a crack in it. i dont understand how or what caused this.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your TV.

Can I get the full model number?

How is the picture?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
TV Model # XXXXX XXXXX There is no picture now. We had the repairman from Circuit City out to look at the TV and after he looked at it there is no picture now. Before it had lines down the center of the screen.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

If the actual LCD panel is cracked, there is no way to repair. You would have to replace the panel itself. This is usually cost prohibitive. The panel for your TV is $2529.00. Remember to add shipping and installation.

I will be here if you have a follow up comment or question.

If I have been of assistance, please click the ACCEPT button on the right. It is the ONLY way I get paid for my work. Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just have one more question. Is there any way that this crack could have been caused by a defect in the TV? Do you think that if we took it into a repair shop that they could look in the TV to see if it was defective so Sony would have to replace it? I just don't see how any way it could have been physically cracked.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

It is unlikely that there was a defect in the TV. Cracked panels are usually caused by three things:

Damage during shipping or transportation.

Damage caused by flexing of the chassis during handling or mounting of the TV.

Damage caused by flying Wii controllers, toy cars, etc.

That's it. One of those three things happened.

Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.