Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

Our new Samsung LN40A650 LCD TV keeps turning itself off and

Our new Samsung LN40A650 LCD TV keeps turning itself off and then back on every few minutes for no reason. Nothing is being touched, the remote is out in the open and it happens with DVR recorded shows as well. It's impossible to watch a show as it will happen continuously between 10 seconds and 5 minutes. Some channnels seem to be better than others and this happens less frequently but isn't related to HD channels. The TV makes the on and off jingle sound when this happens like it's rebooting. The sound continues to be fine.
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

When you have sound and no picture, please shine a flashlight into the screen and tell me if you can see a VERY faint ghost like image in the screen.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The TV is brand new - I bought it in November. (Not refurbished)

My boyfriend is a day trader and uses the TV with his PC as a second monitor. The TV never turns off and on unexpectedly while it is being used with the PC, even when we use it as a screen to play movies on through Media Player on the PC. It also does not happen when we use the TV with the DVD player.

The TV is hooked up to a cable box from TimeWarner cable. The audio is a Yamaha RXV2400 receiver. Video is fed through an HDMI cable which we bought new with the TV.

There are basically 3 things that happens with the TV when we're watching cable and DVR'd programs through the cable box:

1) TV randomly turns itself off and on every few seconds to every couple minutes (not related to the remote - which is sitting out on the coffee table untouched). When I say it turns off and on, I mean it appears to be rebooting itselt. The TV plays a little jingle when being turned on or off during normal use. It makes this sound when the issue occurs as well - like it's rebooting. The sound of the program we are watching continues to play normally without interruption when the TV has the problem. When the TV comes back on after about 8 seconds, the picture picks up at the correct spot to match the sound, which had continued normally. The TV turning off and on occurs the most frequently of the four errors we get.

2) The screen freezes with blurred image. The screen will freeze and the image will turn into vertical lines of color that extend over the whole screen from top to bottom. The sound also continues to play normally. This occurs sometimes a few seconds after a successful reboot after error #1 as described above. We turn the TV off and then on again to resolve this issue.

3) Picture freezes. The picture will freeze an image and not move. The sound continues to play normally. This occurs least often. We turn the TV off and then on again to resolve this issue.

4) Rarely, the TV will display a message that says "searching for signal". We turn the TV off and then on again to resolve this issue.

There appears to already be an issue with our cable box. The s-video and component cables cause a series of lines to migrate up the TV from bottom to top. They move slowly and are kind of grayish lines are most visible against a dark or black background.

We have called the cable company and they have rebooted the cable box. This didn't work so we called them again and they boosted the signal (we live in NYC). This did not have any effect on stopping the 4 issues described above. The cable company then sent a technician to our house but he was unable to resolve the issue (he pointed out the issue with the cable box - s-video and component issue causing the grey lines described above).

He was supposed to return the following day with a new cable box to see if that was the issue, but never returned. We called the cable company who said the guy had marked our case as "complete". We opened up a new request for a service call but don't have a date yet. In the mean time, we cannot watch TV for fear that all this rebooting is causing damage to our TV (which is critical for my boyfriend's day trading business).

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

Since the TV is still covered under the original factory warrenty I will not suggest that you try anything to repair the TV. This will void the warrenty, something you do not want to do. You will likely need to use the warrenty again before it expires. My opinion is you will have other problems with a Samsung TV. Sorry but Samsung is not a dependable TV set. The problem could be as simple as the firmware needing to be upgraded. Many consumers have to call for service after they try to update the firmware. I expect component failure is causing the problem.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So are you saying there's no way it could be the HDMI cable or the cable box?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

I would not say there is no way. I am sure someone would try to prove me incorrect. I am saying it is not likely being caused by the HDMI or the cable box. Sorry but without being there to test the connections I cannot be more specific than this.

Regards,

Edward

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, we're having the cable guy come and change out the box tomorrow so we'll at least be able to rule out one possible cause then.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward