Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

Emerson TV Turns On And Off Automatically.

Why won't our Emerson flatscreen TV remain on? We turn it on and it immediately shuts off.

Hi, Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Model number LC320EM82S Made in December of 07. I can't find my receipt or the manual for the TV but we have had it around a year I would guess.

I unplugged the TV from the outlet for about 20 minutes but that didn't help.

I tested the batteries in the remote and they are strong.

This TV is made by Funi for Emerson. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down or will keep it from turning on when it detects a problem. This TV is known for having problems with their power supplies failing. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts, which includes millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Diodes and IC can go bad. This may have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail.

Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for a proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment specifically designed for TV service and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

If you decide this is not something that you can do would you like an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about how much would it cost to take it to a repair shop

I expect this repair will be about $120 to $225, depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications, if the problem is a bad circuit board and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced.

A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask.