Conrad
Conrad, Technician
Experience:  Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC
13527695

I have a Sony TV model KDSA2020 and the screen goes black,

I have a Sony TV model KDSA2020 and the screen goes black, the power light flashes and in about 10 seconds the picture is back on
Category: TV
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for choosing us to help you with your problem. Although your model number is XXXXX (it's either a KDS50A2020 OR KDS60A2020) I believe I know what your problem is. You have an old or weak lamp. Usually, when a lamp fails, the lamp capsule explodes and the LAMP light will illuminate on your set. Sometimes, a lamp will age and not explode. The reflector becomes clouded, converting the light into heat, which causes the lamp to draw too much current. An old lamp capsule usually draws more current than a new one, and the additional heat and added current draw eventually triggers a reset cycle on the TV (the loss of picture and green light flashing 50 or so times that you have seen). As the lamp cools, it will be allowed to restart and then the cycle resumes. Replace the lamp with a good quality replacement.
Your lamp is available two ways: the entire lamp assembly, which you can purchase by clicking here
OR you can take tthe lamp housing apart and just replace the bulb for a considerable savings. A bulb for your TV is available by clicking here
If you are satisfied with my answer, be sure to click on the green ACCEPT button. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them. Thanks for using our service!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Andrew,but why would I have an old lamp in a one year old set?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Andrew,but why would I have an old lamp in a one year old set? My son said in the back of the set there is a yellow light flashing just above the RCA plugs

Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the information. The yellow light you see flashing is known as a "watchdog timer light" and is there for the technician so that he can tell the microprocessor is running. I have seen lamps fail in less then a year, it depends on a number of things. Obviously, how much you use or watch the TV is important, It is also very important how may times the TV is turned on and off, as each lamp "cycle", or every time that the lamp is turned on, will take life off the lamp. The amount of ventilation will effect lamp life; if you have a dusty enviroment or the TV is in a cabinet or against a wall, it will effect how long the lamp lasts. Last, if you have experienced power outages when the TV is on, you will not get a proper cooling cycle and this effects lamp life. ALL of these factors can shorten the life of a lamp. I have replaced many lamps in sets less than a year old.
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
If you want to try replacing the lamp and then approving my answer, that is fine with me. I am confident a new lamp will fix your problem and have offered this option to others. So far, all of them have ended up approving the answer eventually.
Conrad, Technician
Experience: Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC