Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

my dlp is a toshiba 62hm84. I just replaced the lamp but its

my dlp is a toshiba 62hm84. I just replaced the lamp but it's still not working. When I turn it on it makes a buzzing noise that comes from the lamp area that lasts about 4-5 seconds then cycles 8 times before giving me the indicator lights to contact an expert. I'm contacting you.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer. Thanks for asking your question.

Sounds like the lamp ballast. Did the previous lamp blow or just go dim over time?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks Steve.

The previous lamp blew. This is the third time I've replace the lamp in 4 years which is okay but this time it started doing this. Is the lamp ballast something I can replace myself?

Yes.

Wow. Three times in 4 years is not normal unless the TV has been used an extremem number of hours. It should last 2000-3000 hours average.

The ballast is here: http://www.partstore.com/Part/Toshiba/Toshiba/62HM84/Toshiba/Toshiba/23122468/Refurbished.aspx

Replacement isn't too hard, you would need to remove the back off the TV and locate the existing ballast board. Unplug it, unscrew it and install the new one.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Steve, finally got my ballast in and replaced it and the TV now works but now the screen is red. I can watch it but of course it's not good as everything now looks pink and sometimes a real bright red....any suggestions?