Jeff, Electronics Engineer
Experience:  Over forty years fixing TVs and electronics

The screen on our LG LCD tv keeps going blank. I think its

Customer Question

The screen on our LG LCD tv keeps going blank. I think it's a problem with the Scart connector that we're using to connect an HD signal from our cable receiver box. Changing the Scart leads makes no difference, but wiggling it at the connector restores the picture temporarily. Do I need to take it to a service center, or is there something I can do to fix it myself?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jeff replied 7 years ago.
Max; It's not often the question includes the diagnosis, thanks! You have identified a mechanical problem with the connector itself. If you get the set arranged such that you can closely examine the connector, and I mean with a magnifying glass, you may be able to see how one or more of the connections differs from the others and therefore do something about it.
The beauty of your situation is that when you take it in, the technician is going to disassemble the set and re-solder or replace the connector anyway. If the set is not usable as it is, you really can't make it much worse. That said, be careful and ALWAYS unplug the set before you do any poling around. Good luck, actually there's a reasonable chance you'll see something. If I've told you what you wanted to hear, please click Accept. And always, positive feedback is appreciated. Jeff
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response Jeff. I'll check it out this evening (Tues) and get back to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I've now had a close look and can find nothing obviously wrong with the Scart socket externally (when compared with the one next to it).

What's the next step?