Conrad
Conrad, Technician
Experience:  Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC

Hello I have a 72 inch sony rear projection tv model #kp-65ws510.

Customer Question

Hello I have a 72 inch sony rear projection tv model #kp-65ws510. out of the blue it got waves in the screen and shows everything in double. I notice purplue and green waves through screen. any ideas`onwhat cases that. I tryed playing a dvd and still got the same results. Is this somthing I can fix or do I need to get a new tv. I work on cars for a living so I am handy withtools.
Category: TV
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. Are the waves visible on all inputs and the menu and on-screen display? I don't think I've ever heard of a complaint like this one and I've seen quite a few of thses sets. If possible, could you post a picture of the problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I e-mailed you the picks. I couldnt get them to go on the forum.
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
What email address did you use? Let's proceed with a couple of more questions while I wait for your reply and try to locate the pics. Are the waves rolling thorugh the picture? Do they seem to be a constant frequency or do they move through at changing intervals? Does the sound level affect them at all? Get back to me and let me know where to lkook for the pics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX was the address. To your questions they roll through the top left and bottom right. They are costant frequency. No effect with sound. I also open handed hit the back and side of tv like in the old days when that worked.
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
The email address can't be displayed here, but we'll keep working any way. I suspect that what you are seeing is 60 cycle hum rolling through the picture. It can be caused by bad filter capacitors in the power supply, but it can also be caused by a phenomena called "ground loop" where the components you have plugged in to the TV are at a different potential than the TV. I have recently seen a rash of ground loop problems in my area related to cable TV boxes. So, the first thing I would recommend it that you disconnect EVERYTHING from the TV, antenna too if you have one hooked up and try looking at the snow on the tuner and the onscreen display and menu and see if the hum is still there. That way we can eliminate any external cause of the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I disconected everything and wave and color was still there. Double pic was gone. Do you have a email adress I can send pics to.
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Try this:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX The fact that the double pic was gone is interesting. But the waves still being there, hmmmm. Are you getting any noise or buzz in the audio? If not, we're looking at a video process problem, because if the power supply caps were leaky you would hear buzz in the sound too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well with the cable diconcted and everything else there was no pic just snow. Ther is no noise problem. I will try that adress now give me a minute.Thanks

Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
I'll keep an eye on my email
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
While I wait for the pictures, without seeing them, my best guess at this point would be a bad B board. The B board has almost all of the video processing and some digital to analog and analog to digital conversion circuits that I have seen cause very strange picture problems (and your's qualifies as strange). The B board cost is $315, part number is XXXXX you can get one by clicking here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3 questions first is that part hard to change and do you think its worth a try? Second did you get the email because I would like you to see them if at all possible. Last Is that apic of your dog ? Looks like a white german sheperd. I have a siver sheperd love dogs especally sheperds. Thanks for you help again.
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
Just realized I usually don't get messages with attachments at my Yahoo email. I'll have you upload them to a free site. Try mediafire dot com, they will allow you to upload photos for free and then I can download and look at them. Be sure to list the site address (when you get it) like I do on here.The part isn't hard to change, but there may be a TON of alignment work to be done after the board change because ALL of the alignment data is stored on that board. When you change it, you're bassically starting from scratch, though some of the alignments will probably be close. I would recommend you get a manual if you're going to try this by yourself; you can download one for $17 by clicking here
Jingles is a purebred shepherd, came from an AKC breeder (AKC doesn't like the white ones) that gave her to a no-kill shelter where I got her. Not albino (you may already know that) just white coat and a great dog. She was lucky; a lot of the AKC breeders kill the white ones at birth. She had a black and tan father and a sable mother
Conrad, Technician
Experience: Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help I am going to give it a try. Thanks by the way my name is XXXXX XXXXX I love that dog. I know about the white ones. Thats crazy there to nice for that kind of treatment. My sheperd is asilber kinda looks like a black and tan but the black is greyis silver. Good luck
Expert:  Conrad replied 5 years ago.
And good luck with your repairs. Thanks for using our service! Give your dog a pat from me.