Conrad
Conrad, Technician
Experience:  Training on many types of consumer electronics, training on Sony Samsung and JVC
13527695

My Samsung LCD has just developed multiple vertical lines on

My Samsung LCD has just developed multiple vertical lines on the screen. They appear slightly red or green. Can this be fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Usually, colored vertical lines such as you describe are causes by a failure of the LCD panel itself. The only repair that can be done is to replace the panel. Often the cost of this will exceed the original cost of the TV. It may be in your best interests to have my diagnosis confirmed by a technician on site as we are discussing a costly repair.If you are satisfied with my answer, be sure to click on the green ACCEPT button. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask them. Thanks for using our service!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this common? The unit is only two years old. We wanted to buy an new 1080 lcd eventually but now I'm extremely skeptical. Does the extended warranty offered by Best Buy, etc. cover this kind of thing?
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
It is not uncommon to have a LCD panel fail in this way. I have replaced many panels under warranty with this specific type of problem. That is one reason (the other is the use of lead free solder) why I recommend you purchase an exteneded warranty for all new sets.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I won't keep you with a slew of questions. But I do have one more. Are the newer sets any better? Also, is there somehting to do with the size of the screen (I haven't heard of computer flat screens having this issue)? Would it be better to get plasma?
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Plasma is THE LAST thing I would recommend. Plasma sets are more notorious for burn in than any other set, the failures are often catastrophic and costly and they are just plain nasty for techs to service. There have been several bad "batches" of LCD panels in recent years, most of them coming from the same plant in Korea. But don't let that put you off LCD sets. There are many well made LCD TV's out there. Problems DO occur more often on the larger panels (the last big problem involved 46 and 52 inch panels only), which is why you don't hear of many computer monitor problems, but if you look through the customer reviews of LCD monitors on NewEgg you will see many cases of lines developing. The lead free solder issue is a bigger headache in my opinion and a good reason to invest in the extended warranty. Please consider buying an extended warranty, but not from the dealer. Check to see if the manufacturer offers an extended warranty you can purchase, as the manufacturers offer better support and don't misrepresent their warranties Dealers often say they have a 3 year extended warranty, when the first year runs concurrent with the manufacturers warranty amd they will tell you to contact the manufacturere if you have a problem in the first year.
Expert:  Conrad replied 7 years ago.
Be sure to click on the green ACCEPT button!