Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

I purchased a 1999 GE tv model 19GT241 at the garage sale but

Customer Question

I purchased a 1999 GE tv model 19GT241 at the garage sale but the picture is locked. The seller does not remember the code. How can I unlock it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Can you verify the model number on the back of the TV is 19GT241?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can only verify the last 5 digits - GT241 and it is a 19 inch portable tv. When I turn on the tv I get no picture or sound. When I try to type in a 4 number code for v-chip parental controls I get incorrect code. I've confirmed the tv is set for cable.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
PS. I get static and snow and a message on the screen that says "locked"
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.
I have opted out of this question since I have no information on this model in my database. By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon.

Regards,

Edward
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm obviously disappointed. I was hoping this type problem is not unique to this particular model, that there would be a way to get around a parental control regardless of model. Hopefully, someone else can help.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.
Hopefully another expert will respond soon. Sorry to say every model has a different default password XXXXX to unlock the TV. I can provide you several in hope that one of them will work if you like. I was hoping another expert had the information in their database.

Regards,

Edward
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I would appreciate trying anything. thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

Please do not accept if these options do not get the TV working.

The owner's manual will have the information for the default password XXXXX the owner's manual can be purchased by clicking here. The GE and RCA model numbers are the same.

You might wish to call RCA(NNN) NNN-NNNNand see if they have the default password. I will call them tomorrow if you wish.

Below are several more suggestions that may or may not work.

Hold down MENU on the remote and VOLUME DOWN on the TV it?s self at the same time for at least 4 seconds. The set won't say so, but the lock will be unlocked

Hold down the 0 on the remote and the VOLUME DOWN buttons on the TV its self at the same time for at least 4 seconds. The set won't say so, but the lock will be unlocked

Hold down the MENU button on the front of the TV and the TV button on the remote at the same time for at least 4 seconds.
Hold down GO BACK on the remote and MENU on the front of the TV at the same time for at least 4 seconds.

Hold down EJECT on the front of the TV and the MENU button on the remote at the same time for at least 4 seconds.

Default passwords 0000 and 9999 may work.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Edward, unfortunately, none of the above worked. Yes, I would appreciate you calling RCA before I try ordering an operating manual.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Edward,

Bad news. I contacted GE and was told we need the original remote in order to reset the password. We only had a universal remote. We were also told the original remote is no longer available but they would try to determine if a compatible remote was available and that would take several days.

Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.

A new original remote for this TV can be purchased by clicking here. A used remote that will operate the TV can be purchased by clicking here for under $10.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, I will purchase the remote and let you know if that solves the problem. Thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 years ago.
Great. Hope this solves the problem.