Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

I have a Panasonic plasma tv - TH-42PZ77U - the power button

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic plasma tv - TH-42PZ77U - the power button is blinking red an the screen stays dark, whats up with that ??
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Heat is the enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own? Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found out more on the internet in two minutes than what you just told me, you should become a lawyer with that wordy explanation that didn't tell me much. Just for your knowledge next time ask how many times the power button blinks, that will give you an indication what the problem might be, by the way its on the internet. If you can't answer a question with specific info just say so.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I have opted out since you do not wish to answer the following questions. Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own? Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope? By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon. If you no longer need an answer please indicate this and the question will be closed. Your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Regards,

Edward
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll give you one thing you're persistant, but you still haven't asked me this,

BLINKS PROBLEM MALFUNCTIONING PART
============================================================ ===========

1 blink STV 5v sense DG Board

2 blinks 15v SOS D Board

3 blinks 3.3v SOS D Board

4 blinks Power SOS P Board

5 blinks 5v SOS D Board

6 blinks Driver SOS 1 SU / SD / SC Boards
(SC energy recovery circuit)

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU / SD / SS Boards
(SC floating voltage area)

8 blinks Driver SOS 3 SS Board
(SS energy recovery circuit)

9 blinks Panel Config. SOS

10 blinks Sub 5v SOS / Main 3v SOS DG Board
DTV 9v SOS / Tuner Power SOS

11 blinks Fan SOS PB Board

12 blinks Sound SOS H Board

13 blinks Communication error DG Board
with IC8001 (Pesks Lite 2)

I found this two minutes after I sent my $15 - it blinks 7 times, the tv's been unplugged for 3 days, looks like there is no quick fix and I'll have to call a tv repair shop, which is all I wanted to know. Hope this helps you in the future.
Customerbr />
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I did ask," Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?" The blink codes are provided to the electronic technician as a starting point to start looking for problems. They do not tell exactly what will be needed to repair the TV. This requires testing. Had you indicated that you wanted to repair the TV yourself and had the needed test equipment needed to diagnose the circuitry I would have asked you about the number of flashes that the TV was displaying. Since you have determined that you will need to send the TV out for repair, I will ask for this question to be closed. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward