Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  6 Years component level TV repair. Ex-Military RADAR and radio repair.
11676743

I own a Samsung DLP DNle. If I turn it off and later turn it

Customer Question

I own a Samsung DLP DNle. If I turn it off and later turn it on, it does not come on. After about 30 seconds it turns itself off. Two green lights and one red light appear in the timer, lamp, temp under the Samsung logo. I turn it on again and this continues. Finally after 4 to 6 tries it comes on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

on the front it is called DNle. It is a 52" (I think) Samsung DLP TV approx 2 years old.

There is a niumber on the remote under the surround button - BP59-00048

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached. From the information you have provided I suspect there is a problem with the cooling fans inside the TV. There are safety features that will shut the TV down or will keep it from powering up if the temperature inside the TV is too hot. Make sure that all vents on the TV are clear and that nothing is restricting the air flow to the TV. I will expect this repair to be about $150 to $250 depending on how many fans will need to be replaced and if the heat has caused any other damage. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repair than a large electronics repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is not acceptable.

If heat were the problem only the temp light would come on, not the timer and lamp lights

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Please do not accept if you feel the answer is unacceptable. Heat is the enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own? Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

Regards,

Edward

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
I have opted out of this question. By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon.

Regards,

Edward
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you opted out.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
Your lamp based DLP set provides blinking codes for each problem.<br /><br />Your three blinking lights tells me the most common problem for three blinking lights is the Lamp needs to be replaced, you can find that number on the left hand side of the TV on a sticker, google it.<br /><br />Other common problems for that symptom aer:<br /><br />Bad ballast (you should be able to hear it fire after hitting power, sounds like a buzz)<br /><br />Bad DMD board (you won't hear the color wheel spin up after hitting OFF)<br /><br />Hope that helps!<br /><br />Mike<br />
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
"the most common problem for three blinking lights is the Lamp needs to be replaced"

This can't be, it is not the lamp
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
How do you know it's not the lamp may I ask?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This has been happening for months and if it were the lamp it would not be intermittant, it would fail.
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
No, it wouldn't.

Lamps can fail intermittently as well as just go out.

I do this for a living, believe me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, lamps can fail intermittently but if they are weak they will die within weeks. This lamy has 500 hours on it since it started failing when warm
Expert:  Michael replied 5 years ago.
OK, I will opt out since my answer was unable to help you.

You do not need to ask the question again, the other experts can view your question.