Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

Vizio tv problems--blank screen

I have a 47" Vizio LCD that simply stopped working this evening. The screen is just black and the TV doesn't respond to any commands from the remote or from me pressing buttons on the front of the set. The only way I can get it to turn off is to unplug it, but once I plug it back on it does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you have sound and are any lights lit on the TV?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model number: GVL47L FHDTV10A
Have owned the TV since 4/20/07
Have tried unplugging and re-plugging in the TV several times (leaving unplugged for about 10 minutes each time); have also tried unplugging the component inputs
No sound at all; the only lights that come on are the command button lights (orange) on the front of the panel and the white "power on" light (behind the "Vizio" logo)
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down or will keep it from turning on when it detects a problem. Power supply failure is a very common problem with this model TV. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts, which includes millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Capacitor failure is a common reason for the power supply to fail. Resistors will change value and burn. Diodes and IC can go bad. This may have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for a proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment specifically designed for TV service and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own? Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm definitely looking to have someone else repair this...how much should I expect to have to pay?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

I will expect this repair to be about $250 to $400 depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV shop will often charge less for the repair than a large repair facility.

Regards,

Edward

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.