Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

Vizio TV is not working.

I have a 47" Vizio LCD that simply stopped working this evening. The screen is just black and the TV doesn't respond to any commands from the remote or from me pressing buttons on the front of the set. The only way I can get it to turn off is to unplug it, but once I plug it back on, it does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions?

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.
How long have you owned the TV?
What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you have sound and are any lights lit on the TV?
Thank you once again for trusting us with your problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Model number: GVL47L FHDTV10A
Have owned the TV since 4/20/07
Have tried unplugging and re-plugging in the TV several times (leaving unplugged for about 10 minutes each time); have also tried unplugging the component inputs
No sound at all; the only lights that come on are the command button lights (orange) on the front of the panel and the white "power on" light (behind the "Vizio" logo)

You might wish to unplug the TV for an hour or more. If this power reset does not allow the TV to turn on, component failure is indicated. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process, they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down or will keep it from turning on when it detects a problem. Power supply failure is a very common problem with this TV model. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts, which includes millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Capacitor failure is a common reason for the power supply to fail. Resistors will change value and burn. Diodes and IC can go bad. This may have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for a proper repair; all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment specifically designed for TV service and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own? Do you own and know how to operate an oscilloscope?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm definitely looking to have someone else repair this. How much should I expect to have to pay?

I will expect this repair to be about $250 to $400 depending on how many parts are found to be out of factory specifications and if the board can be repaired or has to be replaced. A small TV shop will often charge less for the repair than a large repair facility.

Vizio TV problems

Common Vizio TV problems

When owning a TV, issues associated with power can occur with the internal parts, wiring problems in the home or power surges. These problems often need servicing or parts replaced. However, troubleshooting issues before paying to have the TV fixed or using the warranty can be beneficial and more cost effective. The list below is troubleshooting tips for power problems of a Vizio TV and does not require any tools to fix.

1.   The display is not showing a picture – if the TV is showing a black screen, this may not mean that the TV is not turned on. Instead, there could be an issue within the panel. To troubleshoot this problem, press the “MENU” button on the side of the TV or remote. If the menu pops up, this often indicates there is not a power issue with the TV; but instead it could be a problem with the input or with the cable/satellite service.
A Vizio TV

2.   Use TV controls instead of remote – sometimes issues with the remote may seem as if there is a problem with the TV. However, the TV may be working properly, but the remote may need replaced.  Try powering the TV on using the “POWER” button located on the side of the TV instead of the remote power button. The “POWER” button is usually found on the back lower corner of the TV. Depending on the year of the TV this button can be on either the left or right side. If using this power button fixes the issue, then the remote needs replaced, or something is preventing the remote from making contact with the sensor in the front of the TV.

3.   Power cycle – using the power cycle feature can help solve many power problems on a Vizio TV. To troubleshoot this, unplug the TV from the electrical outlet and press and hold the “POWER” button for about 10 seconds. Afterwards , the TV should power back on.

4.   Resetting the power cord – having a loose power cord can often cause power issues. The power cord disconnect from the TV, simply by moving it by accident. Unplug and reconnect the cord from the back of the TV and then try powering the TV back on.

5.   Connect TV to a new outlet – make sure the outlet that the TV is plugged into, is working properly. Try plugging the TV into a new outlet that has not been used by the TV before, then try powering the TV on. Refrain from using a surge protector when using a different power outlet as this can often be the cause of the issue. If the TV works by changing outlets, typically this means the original outlet was the issue.

Hopefully your TV is working now after using the above troubleshooting tips. However, if you are still having power issues with your TV contact a TV-repair Expert.