Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

can you mount a tv above a wood burning fireplace

Customer Question

can you mount a tv above a wood burning fireplace?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.

Ok. Before I answer, please understand that although you have made a deposit to Just Answer, I do not get paid until you click the ACCEPT button. Please do so if the following is helpful. If, after reading my answer you have a follow up comment or question, I am still obliged and willing to continue even if you have clicked ACCEPT.

So....

It really depends on the fireplace and the mantlepiece surrounding the fireplace. A wood burning fire can give off a lot of convection heat. This heat will tend to rise up and out ouf the fireplace and up the wall - right where your TV is located.

What you should do is start a fire and get it established - coals and flame. Then measure the temperature at the TV. if it is over 100 degrees, then you need to take measures to reduce the temperature.

I have a 42" LCD above a wood burning fireplace. To keep the temperature down, I have a 48" x 12" x 1/4" piece of laminated flooring which I made specially. It sits on the mantle and is heald in place by my center speaker, it sticks out about 10" and deflects the heat out away from the TV and into the room. It is so thin that it is hardly noticible and when there is no fire, I place it behind the sofa.

You could use a sheet of aluminum or something similar, the laminated flooring gets very hot but can withstand the temperatures created by the fire.

One other thing to consider: check the temperature behind the TV on the face of the chimney. Mine doesn't get warm at all because I have a flue but an old brick fireplace may get hot. I'm not sure what you could do there - maybe get a small fan to blow air across it.

I will be here if you have a follow up comment or question.

If I have been of assistance, please click the ACCEPT button on the right. It is the ONLY way I get paid for my work. Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

The first thing to do is to see how hot the

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont have anything yet i want to get a wood burning firebox though and i want to mount an lcd above it. are you saying if the mantle protrudes 10 inches or more ill be ok?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

No. Not necessarily. That works with my setup but I imagine that it would vary with the height of the mantle.

However, a 10" protrusion would help a lot. There is no calculation for this, you really have to try it out.