Pmiller, Technician
Experience:  20 yrs+ In electronics w/ car audio, video and electronics expertise

My tv has a blue/purple tint how can I fix it

Customer Question

My tv has a blue/purple tint how can I fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 8 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. To help me, can you tell me the make and model of the TV?

How old do you think it is?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is an emerson I don't know the make and it is at least from the 90s
I think
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is an emerson I don't know the make and it is from 95 I think
Expert:  Pmiller replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Can you please describe the tint and picture you are referring to? Is it the whole picture or just a corner or side?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is the whole picture
Expert:  Pmiller replied 8 years ago.

According to your description it is one of two things...

Each of the 3 primary colors in an older “Tube” TV has it's own driver circuit. This is most likely your problem. It could be something as simple as a transistor and possibly some support components in your green driver circuit. The other possibility is the color gun in the tube itself has gone bad.
If you have electronic repair knowledge then you can certainly attempt the repair it yourself. However, if you do not, it is VERY dangerous or even deadly in the back of these sets and you should call a technician for the job.

Now comes the question... Is it even worth fixing? Well, you got a lot of good years out of it. Quite often does an older TV get repaired just to break down again soon after. Picture quality and technology has come so far since then they you may want to consider investing in a new unit. The new F.C.C. Digital broadcasting rules will also affect every older TV to the point that very soon you won't even be able to receive a broadcast with out a signal conversion box. I hope this helps...Good luck.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!
Thank You,

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and do not need more clarification or answers to resolve your problem.

If you accept my answer, please leave positive feedback and I will as well.
If you do not feel you can leave positive feedback please do not accept the answer