Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

my tv turns on but the screen is black. whats wrong with it

my tv turns on but the screen is black. whats wrong with it and what am i lookin at in terms of money to fix it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have owned the tv for 9 months i believe if not more than 11 months. its a prima hdtv.model number is XXXXX serial number is XXXXX i have tried turning it on and off several times but no luck and i also played with the wiring in back of the tv. i tried also changing channels and the volume button but nothing comes out not even static.it was working fine the night before when i tried turning it on thats when the problem started
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.
What is the make of the TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a Prima hdtv
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the make of the tv is a PRIMA HDTV if you like you may also contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

I am not finding any information on a Prima 2475ph. Is this a LCD TV? If so take a bright flashlight and shine it into the screen and tell me if you can see a very faint ghost like image.

THe TOS prohibit us from contacting the customer outside this site. Your phone number has been XXXX out by site security.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the model number is XXXXX and no its a PDP TV
Expert:  Edward replied 5 years ago.

Heat is the number one enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I suspect there is a problem with the power supply or high voltage section of the TV. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly.

I will expect that this repair will be in the $250 to $350 price range. A small shop will often charge less than a large repair facility.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.