Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

I have an RCA home theatre HP tv set. Model #P52754AT. My

Customer Question

I have an RCA home theatre HP tv set. Model #P52754AT. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am pretty good at fixing things but I need some help here. the screen has wiggly horzontal lines at the top and the bottom of the screen. It used to be all the way across the screen top to bottom. I had a tech look at it and he said maybe it was the high voltage something or other but couldn't be sure. Trial and error he said, $500.00 to start and maybe he could fix it. I took the front cover off the tv and there are 3 computer boards that control the three different colored lights in the tv. The right one has a continuous green light, the middle one has a green light that goes on and off, and the left one has a green light that won't come on. Could this be the problem? Are there fuses that control these to get that one going again?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The lights indicate a problem. They are there as an aid to the electronic technician to help them diagnose the problem. The problem is not fuses. Be careful when the back is off the TV. There are voltages inside that can harm you. Heat is the number one enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly. A small TV repair shop will often charge less for the repairs than a large repair facility will.

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Note: If the icons or other text makes the page unreadable please refresh the page. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I do not have any training so I suppose I should stay out of it. I guess I am trying to find out if this is something that is worth spending the money repairing. The tech came to my house and talked more than he worked. he did not notice the green lights on the front being out or flickering. He is the only tech in our town that repairs this sort of equipment and it is a 52 inch screen and very heavy to move. Do you have a recommendation on how to find a good service tech. We are 50 miles east of Kansas City, Missouri. Does my description sound like a diagnosis could be made? Should the tech have noticed the lights being out and would this have possibly identified the problem. The longer the tv is on the worse the problem gets. It also makes a staticy hissing noise from the front where those boards are.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
How long have you owned the TV?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
12 years
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
IT sounds like the technician should have been doing more checking and less talking. I believe there is more than one part failing. Heat is the number one enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. Some parts for this TV will be hard to impossible to find due to the age of the TV. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. Over time the capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. This will cause other components to become defective. This can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. Once repaired the TV can fail at any time due to it's age. Many consumers will opt to replace their TV with a large screen LCD HDTV. The set will take up less room and will cost less to operate. You will have to decide if it is worth the $350 to $550 it will cost to have it repaired if the parts can be located.

Regards,

Edward

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I plan to hit the accept button but don't know if that ends our conversation and I am not finished yet. thanks for taking the time. I am almost finished. When I turn the tv on, all three green lights flash on and off then the one connected to the blue "Light" comes on and stays on, the middle one is connected to the "green" light and it now comes on and stays and does not flicker. the left one connected to the "red " light in the tv has flicered occasionally but does not ever stay on.. The tech said that the problem could be the high voltage diverter box.(this comment did not come in reference to these lights as I don't think he noticed them) i think that is what he called it.,might be some arcing but that the arcing is so tiny that it is hard to detect. he thought it would be about 2-300 for the part and $200.00 for labor. Does the high voltage diverter box control these boards, if not then I might have as you said, several problems. thanks for thinking about these further questions. We have another tv downstairs but I just hate to give up on this one as I am a fixer rather than one to throw things away just because. I would like to find someone willing to tinker with this to see if it is even possible to fix. When the hissing lessens the picture gets notably better.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Please do not accept the answer unless you are through with the questions, are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback. The high voltage diverter box is one of the several problems I believe this TV is having. The estimated useful service life of a rear projection TV set is 12 years. Not many of the RCA TV make it that long. I am not one to toss things out that can be repaired but there becomes a time when it is better not to keep spending money on something that will never be as good as the new technology. I hate to see you waste the money on a TV that is going to cost way more than it is worth to have repaired if it can be repaired and then have it fail again in a couple of weeks. RCA is not known for manufacturing a long lasting TV.

Regards,

Edward

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your time and advice. I'll let you know if it fares better than the end of the curb of my driveway.

Sincerely,

Mary D.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the accept and the positive feedback. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward