Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

why does my panasonic tv shut off all by itself

Customer Question

why does my panasonic tv shut off all by itself??
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Thank you for posting your question on justanswer! Please provide us with some additional information so we can better answer your question.

-What it the model number for your tv?

-How old is your tv?

-what do you have to do to get the tv back on after it shuts off?

-How often does the tv shut off?

-What do the lights (if there are any) on the front of the set do when it shuts down.

Please provide this information as it is important to getting you a accurate answer!

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tim,

sorry for the delay, I was away from home.

The TV is a 32 inch LCD HDTV, Model#CT34WX54J.

We purchased in October of 2004. We have never had any trouble until now.

It shuts off, we pull the plug, replug and turn on and it starts again. Sometimes it plays for 2 or 3 hours without shuting off and sometimes it will shutoff 4,5,6 times in a row.

I had someone fix it, he replaced tuner, not the problem, now he refuses to answer

my calls. I am really getting irritated. Panasonic tells me they have had very few complaints about this model and they cannot help because it is no longer under warranty. We recently added Direct TV and they say it has no bearing on our problem.

No one seems to know what to do and I am frustrated. Please help!

Thank you,

Shirley Berky

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Shirley,

Did this problem start immediately after you had someone work on it?

What do the lights on the front of the set do when it shuts down?

Thanks,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Tim,

started about 2 months after direct tv installed.

when it turns off there are no lights on at the front of the tv, only

on the direct tv box. we tried other outlets, and a new power strip.

we plugged other things in the outlet thinking it might be the outlet

but everything tested okay. Do you think it could be the tv electrical cord ??

I am frustrated.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Considering it shuts down with no lights on the front it could be either the main board or the power supply, also slight chance it could be the panel itself drawing to much current and shutting down.

This repair will not be a quick fix and will need a technician to fix. I would guess the average repair could run anywhere from $300-$500 (which is close to the replacement cost).

It is very sad that new technology only lasts about 2 years on average.

Let me know if you have more questions, I will be more than happy to answer them!

Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the help. Very frustrating.

My 20 year old 20" tv works just fine.

It is so sad that all this technology is

flash and no substance. Very annoying!

Thanks again.

Shirley Berky