eldon, Technician
Experience:  been repairing TV for 25 years

Why wont my TV remote work I changed the batteries. Still

Why won't my TV remote work? I changed the batteries. Still not working. I tried a universal remote I had at the house. It will control my sound receiver, but not the TV. I bought a new remote control for my Xbox, which is programmable for the TV too, but same thing. It controls the Xbox but not the TV. I have tried every available code for my TV, but no results. I am starting to think it's not the remote, but the problem is the TV itself. I own a Toshiba 50H81 (50" rear projection) that I bought about 6 years ago. The TV otherwise works great.

Do you have the orginal remote?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It can be couple of thing going wrong. If you phone has a camera in it. Turn the camera on and point the remote at it. Push the power button on the remote you will see a white light on the camera. If you don't the remote is not working.

Universal remote sometime will not work on big screen TV.

If the remote check OK. The sensor in the TV will be bad. It will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where can I get a sensor for the TV, how much do they cost, & how do I replace it?

you can get a sensor at The cost is $2.95

You will need to remove the front cover. The sensor is either by the button on the TV or by the top of the picture tubes. You will need to unsolder and resolder the sensor in.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Someone else told me the IR receiver might need to be replaced, and expect to pay $75 to $100. Is this true?

you can get for $2.95 at partstore.

Click here and it will take you to the part

If you have somebody do for you. It would run between $100 and $200 to get repaired.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm trying to use the website, but I don't know how to find what I need. It just gives a long list of part numbers. Where can I find out what the part number is XXXXX what I need?
if you will click here it will take you to the right part.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much. That's ridiculous that I would get charged so much to install a $3 part. If that's all that it takes to fix my problem, then I'll definitely give you a bonus. Thanks for the help!
if you have check the remote and it working. Most of the time the sensor is bad. The sensor don't go bad very often, so make sure the remote is working.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did. When I look at the front of the remote through my cell phone's camera & press a button on the remote I can see a white light on the screen of my phone that isn't visible to the naked eye. That's the coolest thing. I didn't know that digital cameras could pick up stuff like that. Also, I've tried two other programmable remotes and neither one worked, but I know that one of them used to control my TV a few years ago.
great then replace you remote sensor in you TV and that should fix you TV.