Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

RCA 52" projection tv will not power up. Three blinking lights

Customer Question

RCA 52" projection tv will not power up. Three blinking lights on power button, but no picture or sound.   Is it the power supply? How can I repair it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
model is p56740bg. It's an RCA. We've had it about 10 years. I've unplugged the power cord all night. I've removed the back cover to see anything obvious.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

It is very likely a power supply problem. Bad capacitors are a common problem. This TV is very close to it's expected useful service life. I am sure more than one part will be out of the factory specs. Heat is the number one enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly. Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Edward,
The set was working fine. Good picture & sound. We heard a sound like an electrical discharge and the set went blank, with no sound. I have worked on other electronics, but don't know which part to look at. A repairman I spoke with by phone indicated a "box" of some kind could be removed and delivered to the repair shop. Any ideas?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Be sure to be careful when working inside the TV. There is power even with the TV unplugged. Look where the power cord is connected. This will go to the power supply and this is likely the problem. What you heard was a capacitor going bad.

Should you require further information or clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Power cord enters in the middle lower back. Can the "box" be removed somehow and taken in for diagnosis/repair? Is there a repair manual available, or pictures of the problem area?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

I do not have the service manual for the TV in my database. I checked my sources and they do not have the service manual of the power supply due to the age of the TV. The power supply can be removed but the problem is that other parts could have caused it to fail. Installing a working power supply in the TV could cause the power supply to fail again. All the circuitry of the TV should be checked for parts that are no longer within the factory specs. Once repaired the TV can fail at any time due to it's age. I would recommend that the entire set be taken for repair if repair is your choice.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Final question, I hope. Can the "box" including the power supply be removed for transport to a repair station? If so, how? How much to troublehoot and/or repair?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Yes the box/power supply can be removed and taken for repair. When the power supply is repaired it may not provide you a working TV and the TV could cause it to fail again. You will need to unplug and wires and cables connected to it. Make very good notes of what you are doing to allow you to install it again. Taking digital pictures step by step can help. You will have screws to remove and since it has been a long time since I have worked on this model set you may or may not have some connections to unsolder. I do not reccomend that someone without some electrical training attempt this.

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Edward. My internet connection failed right after I asked my final question, so I could not respond.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the accept. If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them. I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Positive feedback is very important to me. Please leave feedback when you get a chance. Click here if you wish to leave feedback.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Regards,

Edward