Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

my 53" rca tv keeps flickering on and off.. and now wont get

my 53" rca tv keeps flickering on and off.. and now won't get a picture.   turns on, and before a picture comes on, the tv turns off...
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

How long have you owned the TV?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the model # XXXXX XXXXX

serial # XXXXX

the tv tries to turn on.. the green power light goes on.. it sounds like the tv is turning on, then it shuts off, then turns on again by itself, and tries to boot up, then turns off again, and then turns on again, just to turn off...

it always tries 3 times on its own. what is funny, is that the tv is on now, but as soon as i turn it off, this will happen again.... its just luck if it turns on with sound and picture... i have tried unplugging the tv for over 24 hours. and this did not help...

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Heat is the number one enemy of electronics, and these sets operate hot. These sets are assembled using the wave soldering process they are known for having cold solder connections. The safety circuitry shuts the TV set down when it detects a problem. This model of TV has over 3,000 parts which include millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. The capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. Integrated circuits and transistors can go bad. This can cause other components to become defective, which can have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly. Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be? If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have? What type of TV test equipment do you own?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I thought you would be able to tell me how to fix it... but what you are saying is that i need to take it to a tv repair place....

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

If you wish to repair it yourself what type of electronic training do you have?

What type of TV test equipment do you own?

I will gladly opt out if you wish another expert to answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do you think the cost will be
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

I suspect the problem is in the power supply and such repair normally cost about $250. A small TV shop will likely charge less than a large repair facility will.

Edward, Technician
Experience: 40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.