Edward
Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.
3134513

I have an old Bell & Howell TV, was used when I bought it 12

Customer Question

I have an old Bell & Howell TV, was used when I bought it 12 yrs. ago. It has worked fine until tonight about 30 minutes ago the screen went black and a loud whining noise started, I could still hear the program (talking) behind the whining. What could be wrong and is it costly to fix?
Category: TV
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Edward,

Thank you so much for answering so fast! The model number is XXXXX and it was manufactured in 1994.

I am an older woman and can't repair TV's and don't know anyone who does so I would have to take it in somewhere, or pay a service call...but I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble and money I would spend!

Thanks!

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry - this was answered so I think I hit the wrong button!
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

Honestly it would be best to relace the TV. THe cost to have it repaired would be more than the value of the TV. Once it is repaired the TV could fail at any time. This model of TV has over 2,000 parts which includes millions of transistors inside the integrated circuits. Over time the capacitors will change value, leak and become defective. Resistors will change value and burn. This will cause other components to become defective. This may have a domino effect and cause other parts to fail. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. The only way to know for sure which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for a proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment specifically designed for TV service and the skills to use the test equipment. I wish I could tell you there was a quick fix or button to push that would fix the TV but that is not the case or the solution needed to get the TV operating correctly. A new TV will provide you a much better picture and LCD HDTV will cost less to operate.

Should you require further information or clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.