Edward, Technician
Experience:  40+ years in TV repair. Electronics Technician for 40+ years. 50+ as a hobby.

I am having a problem with my toshiba 62-hm-15.

My Problem: When I turn the tv on I am having a problem with the picture comingon. It is connected to a home theatre so I can hear the sound of the tv through my speakers. I have to turn it off and on several times before the picture comes on. Once the picture is on everything is fine. I thought the lamp might need to be replaced so I installed a new one( the tv is roughly 3 yrs old) but it still happens. Some times the tv comes on the 1st time, but sometimes I have to turn it off and on several times before the picture comes on. Please help..

Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the TV? The model number will be displayed on a tag on the back of the TV near where the power cord is attached.

Do you wish to repair this yourself or are you looking for an idea of what the cost to repair the TV will be?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Sorry, the model is Toshiba 62HM15 sn# XXXXX chassis# XXXXX I talked to a local repair shop and without seeing they suggested that it might be the power supply and could run $400 to $800 to repair. I thought that was pretty high so if it is a fairly simple switch out of the power supply maybe I can do it myself.

Again as far as the problem, I have a universal remote that operates my tv, reciever, direct tv high def box, and a cd player. When I turn everything on I can hear the volume of the tv but the lamp is not illuminating. I will then continue to turn everything on and off until I get a picture. The tv is almost 3 yrs old. Once the picture comes on, there is no problem until the next morning when I need to turn it on again. It is intermittent, sometimes it comes right on the 1st time, other times it takes 5 or 10 trys.

Again, if it is the power supply and is not too difficult I would attempt it myself otherwise I guess I would have to pay someone. Does 400 to $800 sound reasonable for this repair? Something I forgot to mention that I think is unrelated is sometimes we get wierd signs where the closed captioning is that looks like this @@!#$$^*&^^%%. Just these wierd random signs that will go on for a few minutes then stop. Sometimes it will move to the middle of the screen but it is always horizontal. It might happen for 2 or 3 minutes at a time then not happen for a few weeks. Thanks for your help.

It sounds like there may be more than one thing wrong with the TV. While the power supply being the problem that is a possibility but so is a defective ballast that supplies the power to the lamp. The only way to know for sure what is causing the problem, which parts that are no longer within factory specs and for proper repair all the electronics must be diagnosed by someone with the correct electronic test equipment and the skills to use the test equipment. I would never suggest replacing any part that was not tested and proved to be defective. Replacing one defective part may make the TV operate for a short time but the part will fail again since if the parts that caused the failure to begin with are not replaced. I would think that is the problem was just the power supply or the ballast the cost should be about $350. A small TV shop will often provide less expensive repairs than a large repair facility.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the $350 if both power supply and ballast are affected or $350 for each repair? Thanks

The $350 would be for one or the other. I do not expect both would be defective.