Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  6 Years component level TV repair. Ex-Military RADAR and radio repair.
11676743

NO SOUND ON TOSHIBA CF3566A

I HAVE A TOSHIBA CF3566A WITH NO SOUND AND PICTURE IS FINE. AT FIRST IT WENT OFF WHILE JUST WATCHING, THEN CAME BACK ON FOR A FEW SECONDS, THEN NOTHING. NEXT TIME WE TURNED IT ON SOUND CAME ON AGAIN FOR ONLY A FEW SECONDS, NOW NOTHING. WE BANGED ON THE SIDE, OPENED THE REAR, AND MOVED THE PC BOARDS, NOT KNOWING WHICH BOARD, BUT NOTHING CHANGED. WE TRIED EXTERNAL SPEAKERS, TURNING MUTE OFF/ON, DSP OFF/ON, STEREO OFF/ON, VOL UP/DOWN, NOTHING HELPED. NO SOUND, NOT EVEN STATIC.
Category: TV
Expert:  Michael replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
-Did banging on the set help at all?
-is it the same on all inputs? dvd etc..
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Movement and banging did not help, tried different inputs also. I feel all the easy things have been tried, but something may have been over looked. I have an Oscilloscope and multimeter if that helps. Thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 6 years ago.
I have to caution you:
Please understand that by opening a TV you are exposing youself to many dangers, including electrocution. Be sure that the set is un-plugged and keep one hand behind your back whenever possible to avoid a shock through the heart as this CAN KILL YOU. If you have zero electronic experience I would not attemp this repair. OK, public service announcement over.

You could follow the speaker wires to the plug, first thing to try is to clean the connection and reseat it (assuming you have reset ALL menu setings to default and don't have the "line out" feature active).

if your speakers don't work still then you will see a small IC mounted on a heatsink next to the speaker plug. You will need a service manual to find out which pins the voltage comes in on as I do not have a service manual on it (you can download one at www.manualsparadise.com asap )

If you are getting voltage and the solder spots look OK (look carefully) then you will have to replace the IC, usually when an audio IC goes out it shuts down the set so I have a feeling this may be an easy one for you to fix.

Also look around the audio IC for bulging capacitors, as that is a common problem for all makes.

If all else fails then you could take it to the local shop and they will fix it for $150 or somewhere around that.

Hope that helps!

If you feel my answer was satisfactory please click on the green "ACCEPT" Icon, the question will not close, and you may follow up if needed.
Thats the only way I get paid for my advice.

Feedback is always appreciated!
Michael, Technician
Experience: 6 Years component level TV repair. Ex-Military RADAR and radio repair.