Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

hello, I have a dell 4201C. 42 plasma. its been through a

Customer Question

hello, I have a dell 4201C. 42'' plasma. its been through a power surge of some sort and no longer has picture or sound. I am an E.E. student and know my way circuit boards and am capable of testing components, but have never touched a plasma TV before. Where do i start once getting the back off of the unit? What is commonly fried in a situation like this? Do you know where I can find a parts diagram for this model? Thanks for your help!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

Is there any sign of life at all? Clicks? LEDs? Buzzing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. When i turn it on the blue power led illuminates, and i here a click like the TV would turn on, but no picture and no back light.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Hello again. I would start with the power supply although I have no idea where to get spares for this model. It would have to be repaired maybe.

The easiest thing to check is the main fuse and it may be just that. If the fuse is ok then it gets a bit tougher. There are a series of diodes in there that are critical to the functioning of the TV, ditto some caps and resistors. It can all be checked if you know what you are doing.

I would take the back off and check the fuse.

Then report back and I will help you further.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got the back off of the TV.There are no visible signs of any burnt components nor any smells of such. About the main fuse would it be right off of the power input, i see what looks like a fuse or a filter wraped in heat wrap. then It goes to a large circuit board with large coils and some cooling fin stacks. Is this the board the main board or a power supply?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you still help me or was the $15 for that one question?
Customer@yahoo(dot)com
Thanks
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I am here. A little tired :)

The fuse should be right there near the power input. SHould be a regular cylindrical fuse.

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there are three small ones that i see. these fuses test fine.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

I see. Are you able to check other components in the PS? Resistors, diodes?

Do you have a multimeter?

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i have a multimeter. should i begin testing components with the power on to the set? should i just place the ground lead on the input ground and follow the components with the other lead?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

No. Turn off the TV for now and unplug it. Wait 5 mins before diving in there.

Stick to the PS for now. Check everything you can. Resisistors should neither be open or shorted - they should show a resistance.

Diodes should check very low resistance in one direction and high in the other. Visually inspect the capacitors for leakage or bulging tops.

Check everything you can.

Then take a look at the back of the TV and tell me if this model has a label in one of the corners with test voltages on it.

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have a sticker showing input ratings from 100-240v. But can not find anything about test test voltages. I''m going through the components now. i really appreciate you time and will do my best to make it worth your while.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

The label may be on the inside of the back cover.

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe I have found it.
Va=70 Vsc=-190 Vs=207 Ve=84 Vset=190

how do i test these?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have found where i can test these voltages. i do this with power on the unit correct?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

That's it. Be really careful.

Let me know.

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found Va, Vs, and Vset all to be at their test voltages.
i am un able to locate Vsc and Ve. I will continue to look.
From what i am able to see the PS seems to be ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The green led lights do light up on the main board after the PS. they indicates S5v, +5v and +12v
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After the Power supply, wire harnesses branch off into one large board in the center of the set, then there is another board behind this one which branches off with ribbon cables to the two boards on the left and right side. Can you tell me determine what these boards are called or how to identify which is which?