Michael, Technician
Experience:  6 Years component level TV repair. Ex-Military RADAR and radio repair.

I have an Apex 32 inch tv. The picture is too large for the

Customer Question

I have an Apex 32 inch tv. The picture is too large for the screen. I ordered a service manual to get into the service menu. It says to lower the volume to 0, press mute on the remote and video on the tv at the same time. It doesn't do anything but go through the different video selections. I also tried full screen/normal screen. All it does it shrink the picture on the tv screen but does nothing to let me see the sides of the guide on my tv nor see the scroll on the bottom. HELP!
Category: TV
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

usually you have to hit mute, then hit and hold it and press video on the TV.

It really sounds like you hit a button on the remote on accident.

Look through the manual, remote, and user menu carefully for an "aspect/size" or similar button.

If zoomed in on accident it can appear as though there is a problem with the TV.

Hope that helps!

If you feel my answer was satisfactory please click on the green "ACCEPT" Icon, the question will not close, and you may follow up if needed.
Thats the only way I get paid for my advice.

Feedback is always appreciated!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I keep trying this and it doesn't work. We have Directv so our tv is hooked up to satellite. Does this matter? I don't think I hit anything I shouldn't have as my son has his own tv and separate satellite box. His also did the same thing, but he found on the internet how to get to his service code, and he fixed his. We have tried everything. Some people said to hit mute/video, others said mute/menu. Nothing works.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Yes it matters, you should check your direct tv settings for a zoom type of setting. it is a freak instance if your TV fails in this manner.

Please don't hit accept unless I actually help you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've tried that, too. I feel like if I just could get the right code to get into service mode, I could get it to work. However, nothing has, and it's so frustrating not to be able to read the guide or the scrolls on my tv. The actual tv picture is fine. It's just reading the guide from Directv or if you're watching say CNN and trying to read the scroll on the bottom of the tv. I even called Directv and they worked and tried to have me do everything they said, and they finally said it is my tv. Also, I have read on other internet posts where other people who have this tv have the same problem. However, responses always say to hit mute and then video on the tv. Mine won't do it. It just keeps going through the video llist (video 1, 2, etc.) Is there any other way to get into the service mode?
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
whats thte model number?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Model No. PF3230, It's the 32 inch Apex digital tv. Thanks.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Try this, reduce the volume to 00, hit mute on the remote and menu on the console

You should see a red "s" in the corner, the manual can help you from there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It doesn't go to 00 - just 0. Then when I try that, it just goes to the menu and flashes on the first one. Now you see why this is so frustrating to me. My son's worked perfectly the first time. I have no idea why mine doesn't work.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

I cannot find any other info on this set so I am opting out.

I think another tech will be able to help you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you anyway. How do I get another tech to view my question?

Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

once I opt out it is a free question for anyone, I will alert the other techs that you need assistance.

Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

press the FULL button once.

It is the third button up on the left bottom side.

here is a link to the owners manual

I had to do some major footwork so I hope that does it Laughing

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nope - tried that first. All that does is shrink the size of the tv picture, but does nothing about moving the guide and scrolling so you can read. I have the manual and the service manual. Nothing in there tells me anything I haven't already tried. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

maybe another expert can help you. I have nothing else.

i will alert some other people of your problem.