Jim Riddle
Jim Riddle, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Licensed Professional Engineer

standby light is flashing 5 times on sony tv

I have a sony trinitron tv model
# XXXXX and the picture is too red and blue , the standby LCd light is blinking 5 times . Can anyone help ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jim Riddle replied 5 years ago.
This info is from the service manual:

Blanking - Standby light blinks five times
Circuit - The Ik signals are measured by Y/C, CRT Drive IC201 and are
used to adjust the RGB gain to maintain color balance. As the picture
tube ages, the Ik signals may fall below the threshold for automatic balance
and mute/blank the picture.
Testing - Increase the G2 control on the CRT’s C board. If that does not
return cathode current to within operating range so the picture will appear,
examine each filament to see if it is lit.
Then use your scope to examine the signal to the cathode. Go to CN9001/
pins 1, 3 and 5 to see if there is a signal coming into the C board. Next
check the signal at the CRT cathodes. If they are present, check the IK
signal from CN9001/pin 8 of the C board. You should see three pulses
and be able to change the level of the signal with the G2 control. If you
get about 1Vp-p pulses at pin 8, this is the normal output from the CRT/C
board so the problem is on the A board about IC201.

I don't know if that will be helpful to you. If that doesn't make sense, perhaps you can show that info to a repair technician. Please don't hesitate to ask for clarification if you need any, or let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Jim Riddle's Post: what is CRT ?
if the problem is what you describe above , I am assuming that the CRT or picture tube need to be replaced, correct ?

My TV is almost 6 years old , is this normal thing to happen ?

I will call on a tech to do this but my concern is how much will this normally cost , is it something minor or will it be very costly to repair ?
CRT is cathode ray tube... or the picture tube, as you put it.
No, yours doesnt need to be replaced. You should take this TV to someone that has the tools and the training to diagnose it. The information I gave you probably won't help you much without the training to apply it.

I would expect a repair of your description to start at $150, but it could go as high as $300 or more. I don't think this is a minor quick fix.

please let me know if there is any other way that I can be of assistance to you.
Jim Riddle, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Licensed Professional Engineer