TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My Toshiba 42 inch TV keeps shutting off by itself, after ...

Customer Question

My Toshiba 42 inch TV keeps shutting off by itself, after waiting a few seconds I turn it back on and it plays for a few minutes before shutting off again. This happens about 10 times before it stays on until I turn it off, what could be the problem? (It is a Model 42HM66, which was purchased a year ago in April)
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

This is a DLP set. It uses a lamp to produce the image. When you say that it shuts off, do you just lose the picture or does the whole TV shut down i.e switch off?

I assume that the TV is not under a warranty?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve the Home Theater Guru's Post: The whole TV shuts off and no, it's not under warranty
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Do any of the LEDs on the front of the TV flash? If so, can you count the flashes please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve the Home Theater Guru's Post: Yes, green & yellow flashes 3 times together then yellow & yellow flashes 2 times then there is a slight delay before it starts again with the greeen/yellow 3 times, and then yellow/yellow flashes for 2 times, then slight delay then start all over. This goes on for about a minute (about 46 total flashes). After this there is a solid yellow light which allows me to turn the set on, however, before the picture comes on there are more flashes and then the picture comes on. The TV set varies in the amount of time it stays on before shutting down again.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Good. Now, I need you to elaborate on the flashing. There is a Power LED and a Lamp LED.

Each LED can display different colors so I need you to tell me exactly what each LED does.

That should be all I need. Nearly there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Steve the Home Theater Guru's Post: Green is the power LED and the lamp is the yellow LED, green flashes 3 times with a slight delay then it starts again with 3 flashes, this goes on for a couple of minutes before it will remain solid.

Yellow is the Lamp LED, and it flashes 3 times with a slight delay (along with the green light) after a slight delay the yellow flashes 2 time by it self with a slight delay then it starts again with the green flashes. After a few minutes the yellow light is solid.