Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

What does flashing lights on my Hitachi TV mean?

I have a flashing blue light, then flashing red lights where it says temp and light. My screen has no picture whatsoever. It was working fine last night. It has not been dropped or anything. Its about 18 mos old 52" HDTV.

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

Can you confirm the model number please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Steve the Home Theater Guru's Post: Hitachi Ultravision 50VG825
Hold on. I am looking for a manual. I think I know the problem and I know you are waiting for an answer. I will be with you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No Prob take your time, I'm just watching the Laker game (on my other TV)

Ok. It sounds like you need a new lamp. This type of TV uses a bright arc lamp which has a finite life - the average is 3000 hours but of course 'average' means that half the lamps fail before 3000 hours.

I found the lamp for $159 although you may want to consider getting the OEM lamp for $210.

Replacement is relatively easy and described on page 88 of the user manual.

You may want to give the TV a thorough cleaning when you relamp. I would take the back off and go at it with a vacuum cleaner (with the brush attachement).

Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If the lamp is not the problem, can I return it to the online retailer for refund. And whats the benefit of the OEM?

The site I referenced has a 20% restocking fee for lamps returned.

There are a lot of cheap chinese lamps going around. The OEM lamp would be my choice.