shawn patrick
shawn patrick,
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

My church has a starcraft bus with a F-450 engine. It only

Customer Question

My church has a starcraft bus with a F-450 engine. It only has 30,000 miles on it and is a 2005 year. All of a sudden it started leaking transmission fluid. A repair person found a crack in the casing of the transmission but not where road debris could have caused it. He said he never saw anything like it and said we need to replace the transmission. Have you ever dealt with such a leak?
JA: Can you actually see the leak? And is the fluid itself bright red, or is it dirty?
Customer: It leaves a stream on the pavement and is red. It covered the whole underside of the bus.
JA: What year is your F450?
Customer: I think it is a 2005 purchased in 2006.
JA: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took it to a mechanic who said it would cost $2800 to $3200 and it is now at Burns Ford in Lancaster, SC but they acted like they couldn't even put it up to look at it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The first mechanic said that the crack is difficult to see but that it is at the back of the casing as you face the front of the bus at about 3 o'clock. Nobody has ever heard of this happening before.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  shawn patrick replied 12 days ago.

Sounds to me like it would be very obvious to see, and if the sace is cracked you would need a new trasmission