Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master,(L-1) Certified, Transmission Specialist
10114124

No reverse, 2003 jeep liberty 3.7l, mechanic took the

Customer Question

no reverse
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2003 jeep liberty 3.7l
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mechanic took the transmission apart and only saw the reverse clutches discolored a little.Everything else looks fine
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: 4 weeks ago
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it drives fine in all forward gears
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The 42RLE transmissions in the Liberty are weak, don't back a boat up a hill or you will burn out your two reverse clutches.. I have worked for a dealership for 20 years and may times the customer just asks for new reverse clutches because just like your technician told you everything is fine besides the reverse clutches. This is common failure for your transmission and Chrysler even issues a software update addressing the reverse issue. So I would get new clutches and have the software updated at your local Dodge dealership.

And in the future I wouldn't use reverse to hard, even like I said pushing a boat up a hill slowly will burn the clutches..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE 5 Stars before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 1 month ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad