Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Trans fault after sitting at work all day, 2000 xk8, Nothing

Customer Question

Trans fault after sitting at work all day
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2000 xk8
JA: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet sitting in car currently in a parking garage
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 10 beeps and 14 code on radio trac not available andengine failsafe. Was fine when i parked this morning
JA: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?
Customer: Manual at home and batt not disconnected for awhile not sure how long
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This is indicating that the computers have detected a fault with one of the transmission components.This most likely failed on key on when you hopped back in and turned on the key or before the key was turned on.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug into your vehicle and can read all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All of the errors cleared about 20 minutes after I put the question in attempted to start the car by putting the key in all errors gone ran fine to get home. This type of thing usually only happens if I let the car sit for a long. Of time without driving it and then after a day of driving the errors go away the transmission error is a bit unusual
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

This is definitely an intermittent component at fault in the transmission then.This can be a sensor like the transmission fluid temp sensor or another sensor acting up sending an intermittent false signal.I have seen sensors cause this issue here.

Even though the fault has cleared up if it does occur again the best thing to do here is to have the fault codes read out/checked right away to see what codes are setting then those codes can be diagnosed to correct the fault permanently.A local parts store will read the codes free of charge to you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The check engine light was also on and it cleared by itself without flushing the codes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

The check engine light will come on when a fault is detected with the engine or transmission.So it came in relation to the transmission fault that was detected.This does indicate the fault codes do need checked.

Thanks Pete