Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a vette 2003 with t56 manual speed transmission and

I have a vette 2003 with t56 manual speed transmission and when I give gas there is a real loud whining sound especially in 5th and 6th gear?
JA: Have you heard this particular sound before?
Customer: yes last year it was there but not as loud? Is it trans bearings or differential gears?
JA: What is the model of your '03 transmissions?
Customer: I believe it is the T56
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to bring to GM dealer who test drove it and said it was trans bearings
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no it should be good

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

im sorry your having this problem

can you duplicate it running it up in the air ?

has the fluid been changed yet with the correct fluid ?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Differential fluid and the Trans fluid replaced.Did not put up in the air
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Differential fluid and the Trans fluid replaced.Did not put up in the air ?
Is it transmission or differential?

99% of the time when it is just in 2 gears it is not the rear diff causing this noise

there is a rear bearing or the 5 and 6th gear bearings failing causing this issue

if new fluid did not help the noise i am sorry to say the transmission needs to come out and apart to replace those bearings that are causing this noise

i wish i had a quick fix for you but the noise will just get worse as you drive it and the transmission is repairable now if you keep driving it longer the bearings can get worse and hurt more of the inside of it to make repairing it very expensive

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the whining sound is in all gears 1, 2 , 3 ,4 ,5 and 6 however just very loud in 5th and 6th gear?

then run it up in the air listening with a stethoscope and see if it is in the rear diff or the transmission once you can tell remove which one is noisey and change the bearings

with in all the gears then the odds are it is in the rear diff but if this is an input shaft or output shaft bearing it will make the noise in all the gears also

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
if noise in transmission once in air should I get a rebuild and change all bearings and syncos? Anything else in a rebuild?

just the bearings and syncos

but if you shop i will bet you can get a rebuild ready to go for close to the price of rebuilding your old one

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just tested the whining sound and it is in all 6 speeds not just 5th and 6th gear?
Does this mean not manual transmission but the gears in the differential?

i would run it up in the air to be sure but the odds are its in the transmission

how are you making out ?