TellNoL437
TellNoL437, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Medium/Heavy Duty Technician, Hydraulics, Electrical, Brakes Certified
9290743

I have a 2016 f-150 4x4 with 11,000 miles. Theengages while

Customer Question

I have a 2016 f-150 4x4 with 11,000 miles. The*****engages while in 2 wheel mode while I am driving, It starts with a grinding noise, engages and makes a loud wining noise. The front wheels are obviously not being powered by the engine. 4 visits to the dealer a total of 14 days. They replaced left accuator and seal . Still not fixed. The tec. stated that this will not harm anything. I am considering lemon law at this point . If they do fix it I am not confident permanent damage has not occurred. Can you give me your opinion? Thanks,Ken Emery
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The noise is from the hub to the front dif. 6 weeks.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the ford dealer under warranty. They have replaced the 4x4 accuator and seal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is a lemon .The problem started at 10,500 miles. The tec. doesn't seem to know how to fix.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  TellNoL437 replied 10 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

In regards ***** ***** lemon law, I would speak to an attorney in regards ***** ***** There are many rules in how that is enforced with a lot of criteria.

On the issue, did Ford mention at all about the 4x4 module being changed and/or te harness inspected? You should have a ESOF aka Electronic Shift on the Fly setup in this truck meaning it can shift to 4x4 while driving, but you shouldn't have any sound at all when it happens. Like you, I am concerned with the noise that you heard that you have some damage to the system somewhere. Getting grinding noise is a good indicator of transfer case damage or front axle damage, However, I can't confirm anything like this until I pull it apart and inspect it.

I suggest if going the legal route, to contact an attorney and then have them send you to a shop that specializes in failure diagnosis to inspect the vehicle. They will send the fluids in to a lab which will be tested for the various metal fragments which will be a huge plus for you to do.

There is definitely something going on with the whining noise and yes, there is most likely some sort of damage because of it.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  TellNoL437 replied 2 day ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.