hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

I have a 2002 Ford f150 with a 4.2l I had a lot of codes

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford f150 with a 4.2l I had a lot of codes from intake leak to transmission shift. It will idel fine till I apply the gas pedal or I put in gear will not rev up unless you Rev it slowly only have these codes left can any of these codes cause it to run poorly like it is skipping all over the place or starving for air current codes P0 340 p0443 p1451 p1747 p0743 P0135 p0155 p0161 p1409 p1504?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

Hello, you have a lot of different issues, have you replaced any parts or made any repairs in regards ***** ***** codes and still have the same codes stored? How many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No have not replaced no parts on curent codes. All parts I did replace have not got a code back on them. Can current codes cause it to not rev up fast in park and no power in gear? Truck has 111296 miles.
Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

Ok, im a little confused, you replaced parts and now codes are gone? OR you did repairs in the past and fixed old codes, now you have all these codes at the present?What was replaced and what codes are present now?All of them are still present ?CThe P0340 code can cause most of the other codes but not all.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had upper intake codes and crank sensor code replaced those have not had codes come back on that but still have all current coach I told you about and still has no power like its starving for air or something like that fuel pressure is good already checked if anything a little higher than it should be
Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

Ok a majority of the codes as I mentioned can be caused by the P0340 code. This is usually cause by a failed camshaft position sensor which sits on top of the camshaft syncronizer which looks like a distributor base at the front timing cover below the egr valve. Typically the syncronizer fails and destroys the sensor, causing the P0340 code and loss of power or stalling issues. So i would start there first and re evaluate the other codes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did replace the cam shaft position sensor because it was bad but I not replace the synchronizer. So I should pull the synchronizer and check it since the sensor was bad?
Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

You should inspect the syncronizer trigger wheel inside, if it is rolled over and falling apart, it isnt sending a signal

Expert:  hdgene replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
camshaft synchronizer was bad bearings were gone in it when I install the new one how do I install the new one? When I dropped the new one in in same position as old one still getting a camshaft code
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

The syncro must be installed at top dead center as shown in this attachment. Click on it to enlarge. The cam sensor should be repalced with it. It may come with the syncro and the syncro aftermarket usually comes with the alignment tool

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In the link you sent me it says do not turn crank or cam why you have the synchronizer removed what should I do if my brother did turn motor over by hand?
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

Remove the number one spark plug and turn the engine over by hand until you hit the compression stroke which will push air out of the spark plug hole.Using a screwdriver turn the engine until the piston in number 1 cylinder is all the way at the top, This will be the position to install the syncronizer, the crank pulley may have some sort of marking as well.

Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I brough it to tdc cheeked with screwdriver piston at top on conpreshon stroke. Installed new sincor as described in link you sent and I still have a p0340 and runing rufgh and spits and sputers when I put in gear and give it hard. Plus still have all the trany coads and o2 coads have not adresed them yet. Or can my o2 make it run like this aswell?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have pulled back apart and cheked it. Is set whare it states it shold be in alldata but still same problum. Will call and pay for it I just need to get her done.
Expert:  hdgene replied 2 months ago.

If it is set up properly and still setting the P0340 code it could be a wiring fault or issue with the PCM itself. You would need a scan tool to look a the cmp sensor to verify the fault and wiggling the wire harness. Or overlay new wiring from the cmp sensor to the pcm to eliminate that as a possible issue. If it still has a fault, then the pcm will need tp be replaced and reprogrammed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could the aftermarket cruse control that is wiered in to the ecu plug
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could that cause the ecu to get mesed up?
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 month ago.

If it was incorrectly wired it is a possibility, but know way of knowing unless it is removed and the circuit is tested.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What fuse/relay dose the imrc(intake manifold runner control valve) get power from when i have pluged up and rev engin above 3,000rpms it still dose not actuate and when I unplug and test have no power at any of the wires at any point I know one of them is ground but still have no power to plug at any point
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 month ago.

Fuse F1.23 a 15 amp supplies power to the IMRC actuator which wont open in park and revving the engine, but should have vehicle power/battery voltage on the red yellow wire when running/key on. I have answered many of your questions and now going into a different direction since January. A positive rating would be encouraging to continue diagnoisng a different concern.

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
getting into different stuff but problem on truck that initially message about trying to fix is still not solve truck will still not run right checked all fuses to that the house all fuses are good but I do not have power to the yellow red wire