xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase
6149662

Check engine light on, 4LO light blinking, trac off, The

Customer Question

Check engine light on, 4LO light blinking, trac off
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The only light blinking is the 4LO light
JA: What is the model/year of your Lexus?
Customer: 2012 gx460
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband is out of town. I have fiddled with the buttons on the console area and nothing changes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all. Does this cost anything? To chat?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello??
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 9 days ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 9 days ago.

do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No.
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 9 days ago.

The check engine light /traction and or abs lights comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 8 days ago.

hope you can rate my service 5 star..if you get the codes feel free to respond so i can help you sort this out