Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2001 mitsubishi montero sport 4wd xls was cruising on

Customer Question

2001 mitsubishi montero sport 4wd xls was cruising on freeway and felt a sputter of sort and the neutral gear light started flashing and the check engine light then appeared solid.. It remained this way i was in third gear i dont know if i ledft it there or it put itself in that gear i was traveling 75mph. exited the freeway and it clunked to a parking space i found and i left it overnight. Nothing seemed to have leaked and all fluids seemed okay. Next morning i started it right up no problem. Neutral gear light was not flashing anymore but the check engine remained on solid .. The car wouldnt engage in any gear it just revs up and i couldnt push it in neutral. the wheels were tightened up when i finally towed it the wheels did roll but it was a winch that made that happen,
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: i did
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: neutralwas blinking and check engine was solid. next morning neutral light gone but check engine light remained solid
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its in a shop but they are trouble shooting themselves
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just bought the car three weeks earlier and was engaging the A/T button and using the 4wd feature and it seemed to work fine.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.