sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Have a 2000 Lexus R400 with automatic transmission and part

Customer Question

Have a 2000 Lexus R400 with automatic transmission and part time 4x4; started having problems with tranny slipping gear while accelerating and clunking into gear. If I use gas pedal moderately am able to coax gear engagement rather smoothly, but problem persists . Does this model have vacumn line that connects to module in transmission?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: About 187,000 miles and original tranny
JA: What is the model of your '00 Lexus?
Customer: Model RX300
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sorry for delay had to check car, I haven't attempted to repair it myself but was thinking of changing filter and oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Have taken to several mechanics but no repairs done
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Sounds to me like either the gears in the transmission/the torque converter is malfunctioning, or you are not receiving proper pressure to one of the chambers. Do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Okay, then you should have the codes ran. What I'm suspecting a shift or pressure solenoid could also be the issue. I advise you to run the codes to see if you get a code for this. If so, you can the solenoid replaced and you should be okay. I must warn you that this doesn't always work so most shops would want you to replace the valve body, and in which case you may as well replace the transmission as this can be rather expensive.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

You are correct, though, in thinking that your first move should be to replace the filter and fluid.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Try to run the codes first because if it is a sensor/solenoid, they will be accessible with the pan off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks! What reference repair manual would you recommend to assist me?
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Not sure but I have seen most at autozone. I'm sure you will find a manual for you make and model there.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be great. Thank you...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great info from mechanic point of view with nothing to gain from advice given( maybe I'm paranoid but it seems you can't get an answer from mechanic and costs are exorbitant to fixed-wage earner) but this is another ethical drama between customer and corporate.Thanks for advice and hope to resolve issue with advice rendered.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?